Hotels and all places of accommodation related to them are the objects that require special attention to ensure the safety of people. Large industrial enterprises often have hotels, holiday homes and other tourism facilities on their balance sheet. In Russia, there are regulatory documents that define the basic requirements which ensure minimum required conditions for the fire safety in places of temporary accommodation for people with a night stay. The purpose of the article is to develop effective ways to encourage hoteliers to create fireproof interiors in the hotel buildings that ensure the safe stay of guests and staff in them, which is also relevant for places of temporary accommodation of people as part of industrial facilities.
The article presents an analysis of statistical data on the causes of outbreak and development of fires in the hotels. Provisions of the current Regulations on the classification of hotels in terms of the fire-prevention state of the object of protection are considered.
Special attention is paid to the need to use certified reduced fire hazard textile materials and products in the hotel interiors. It is proposed to supplement the scoring criteria with an indicator of the use of flame-retardant textiles in the hotels, as a factor that significantly affects the fire safety of people temporary accommodation places.
A model for assessing the level of fire safety is proposed on the basis of a risk-based approach when assigning a certain category to a hotel, which consider the characteristics that affect the state of fire safety. Proposals are developed to include the fire safety indicators in the Regulations on the classification of hotels.
2. Gordienko D.M. Fires and fire safety in 2019: statistical digest. Moscow: VNIIPO, 2020. 80 p. (In Russ.).
3. Prisadkov V.I., Muslakova S.V., Ushakov D.V., Prisadkov K.V. Fire Safety Assessment of Hotels and Their «Star» Classification. Sovremennye pozharobezopasnye materialy i tekhnologii: sb. materialov IV Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf., posvyashchennoy 30-y godovshchine MChS Rossii (Modern Fire-Proof Materials and Technologies: collection of materials of the Fourth International Scientific and Practical Conference dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the EMERCOM of Russia). Ivanovo: FGBOU VO IPSA GPS MChS Rossii, 2020. pp. 387–389. (In Russ.).
4. Matyushin A.V., Firsov A.G., Matyushin Yu.A., Goncharenko V.S. Methodology for the Distribution of Objects of Protection by Categories of Risk Causing Harm (Damage) to the Objects of Protection in Case of Fire. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2020. № 5. pp. 64–72. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2020-5-64-72
5. Fomin A.I., Besperstov D.A., Saybel S.Yu. Fire risks and their impact on the risk-oriented approach in the organization and implementation of federal state at a fire supervision. Vestnik Nauchnogo tsentra po bezopasnosti rabot v ugolnoy promyshlennosti = Bulletin of Research Center for Safety in Coal Industry (Industrial Safety). 2017. № 3. pp. 36–44. (In Russ.).
6. Konstantinova N.I. Fire protection of textile materials: thesis ... Doctor of Technical Sciences. Moscow, 2004. 277 p. (In Russ.).
7. Krasny J., Parker W., Babrauskas V. Fire Behavior of Upholstered Furniture and Mattresses. Available at: https://www.amazon.com/Behavior-Upholstered-Furniture-Mattresses-Hygiene/dp/0815514573 (accessed: April 20, 2022).
8. Chow W.K., Han S.S., Dong H., Gao Y., Zou G.W. Full-scale burning tests on heat release rates of furniture. Available at: https://www.bse.polyu.edu.hk/researchCentre/Fire_Engineering/summary_of_output/journal/IJEPBFC/V6/p.168-180.pdf (accessed: April 20, 2022).
9. Ohlemiller T.J., Shields J.R., McLane R.A., Gann R.G. NISTIR 6497. Flammability Assessment Methodology for Mattresses. Available at: https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/IR/nistir6497.pdf (accessed: April 20, 2022).
10. Storesund K., Steen-Hansen A., Bergstrand A. Fire safe upholstered furniture. Alternative strategies to the use of chemical flame retardants. Available at: https://risefr.no/media/publikasjoner/upload/2015/rapport-spfr-a15-20124-2.pdf (accessed: April 20, 2022).
11. Nazaré S., Pitts W.M., Matko S., Davis R.D. Evaluating Smoldering Behavior of Fire-Blocking Barrier Fabrics. Available at: https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/TechnicalNotes/NIST.TN.1859.pdf (accessed: April 20, 2022).
12. On amendments to the regulations on the Federal State Fire Supervision: Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of October 12, 2020 № 1662. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/565995398 (accessed: April 20, 2022). (In Russ.).