Thermal decomposition of D-cycloserine and terizidone in the air and in the inert helium and nitrogen media was studied using differential thermal analysis. It is shown that upon reaching 145 °C and 135 °C respectively, the intense exothermic decomposition begins. In the inert environment the substances retain ability to intensively exothermic decomposition, which is a required condition for the possibility of explosive transformation occurrence.
To confirm the possibility of explosive transformation, the flash points of substances were calculated according to the formula, which is a consequence of the problem of thermal explosion during convective heat exchange with the environment. The obtained result is close to the experimental one (temperatures 102 and 104 °C, respectively). The calculations used the kinetic parameters determined by the Kissinger method and corresponding to the values obtained by the Ozawa — Flynn — Wall method. Densities of the substances found using an automatic pycnometer, and the heat of explosive transformation obtained experimentally and with the use of the computer thermodynamic program Real are also considered.
It is concluded that both substances are prone to intense exothermic decomposition, and, under certain conditions, the development of a thermal explosion is possible. Recommendations on ensuring industrial safety when working with D-cycloserine and terizidone are sent to FGUP «GNTs «NIOPIK». Particular attention should be paid to temperature control at all the stages of the production process. Based on the results obtained in the study, it should not exceed 110 °C for D-cycloserine, and 120 °C for terizidone considering the error of measuring instruments.
2. On the approval of the Strategy of drug supply to the population of the Russian Federation for the period up to 2025 and its implementation plan: Order of Ministry of Health of Russian Federation of February 13, 2013 № 66. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/499003360 (accessed: May 25, 2021). (In Russ.).
3. Ivakhnyuk S.G. Determination of the indicators and minimization of fire and explosion hazard of chemical production of the new pharmaceuticals by neutralization of static electricity: thesis ... Candidate of in Technical Sciences. Saint-Petersburg: SPbGTI(TU), 2007. 150 p. (In Russ.).
4. Ranjan R., Srivastava A., Bharti R., Roy T., Verma S., Ray L., Misra A. Preclinical Development of Inhalable D-Cycloserine and Ethionamide to Overcome Pharmacokinetic Interaction and Enhance Efficacy Against Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2019. Vol. 63. № 6. DOI: 10.1128/AAC.00099-19
5. Rossiter D., Blockman M. South African Medicines Formulary. 10th Ed. Cape Town: Health and Medical Publishing Group, 2012. pp. 323–325.
6. Hwang T.J., Wares D.F., Jafarov A., Jakubowiak W., Nunn P., Keshavjee S. Safety of cycloserine and terizidone for the treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis: A meta-analysis. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2013. Vol. 17. № 10. pp. 1257–1266. DOI: 10.5588/ijtld.12.0863
7. Chaturvedi S., Dave P.N. Review on Thermal Decomposition of Ammonium Nitrate. Journal of Energetic Materials. 2013. Vol. 31. Iss. 1. pp. 1–26. DOI: 10.1080/07370652.2011.573523
8. Frank-Kamenetskiy D.A. Basics of macrokinetics. Diffusion and heat transfer in chemical kinetics: textbook-monograph. 4-e izd. Dolgoprudnyy: Izdatelskiy dom «Intellekt», 2008. 408 p. (In Russ.).
9. Shushpanov A.N., Vasin A.Ya., Raykova V.M., Gadzhiev G.G. Ability of Naphthoquinondiazide Photoresists to Exothermic Decomposition. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2020. № 10. pp. 90–96. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2020-10-90-96
10. Vasin A.Y., To Thanh Hyng, Gadzhiev G.G., Shushpanov A.N., Protasova A.K. Fire and explosion hazard of D-Cycloserine, Terizidone and their intermediate synthesis product. Khimicheskaya promyshlennost segodnya = Chemical industry today. 2021. № 1. pp. 28–33. (In Russ.).
11. Kissinger H.E. Reaction kinetics in differential thermal analysis. Analytical Chemistry. 1957. Vol. 29 (11). pp. 1702–1706. DOI: 10.1021/AC60131A045
12. GOST R 56722—2015 (ISO 11358-2:2014). Plastics. Thermogravimetry of polymers. Part 2. Determination of activation energy. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200127219 (accessed: May 25, 2021). (In Russ.).
13. Van Dooren A.A., Müller B.W. Effects of experimental variables on the determination of kinetic parameters with differential scanning calorimetry. I. Calculation procedures of Ozawa and Kissinger. Thermochimica Acta. 1983. Vol. 65. Iss. 2–3. pp. 257–267. DOI: 10.1016/0040-6031(83)80026-4
14. Vasin A.Ya., Gadzhiev G.G., Raykova V.M., Anosova E.B., Shushpanov A.N. On the explosiveness of some organic compounds with explosive groups. Khimicheskaya promyshlennost segodnya = Chemical industry today. 2016. № 12. pp. 50–55. (In Russ.).