One of the most acute problems when working in the coal mines is the gas contamination of air with harmful substances. There are several regulatory documents that regulate the content of carbon oxides, nitrogen, hydrocarbons and other harmful compounds in the air of the coal mines working area.
The most common method for reducing harmful compounds in the air of the mine working area when operating diesel locomotives is to dilute the mine air with the clean one to the required concentrations, but effectively apply this method is not possible at all the sites of the mine.
There is a need to develop a method for reducing the concentration of toxic substances in the air of the working area without supplying an additional volume of fresh air.
One of the ways to improve the composition of the exhaust gases is to change the composition of the diesel fuel used by introducing environmentally friendly components and bioadditives that allow the most complete combustion of fuel and the conversion of carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide.
The process of transformation of fatty organic acids into the groups of esters having a low molecular weight is the basis for obtaining the developed bioadditives. Environmentally friendly additives were obtained from the renewable raw materials, namely, from various oily crops grown in the territory of Russia.
The introduction of bioadditives in diesel fuel, the main components of which are esters, mainly reduces the emissions of harmful substances.
When using such environmentally friendly fuel compared to the hydrotreated diesel fuel, the concentrations of carbon oxides and hydrocarbons in the exhaust gases are reduced by 16–70 and 6–26 %, respectively.
Use of bioadditives as part of hydrotreated diesel fuel during operation of self-propelled diesel equipment in the coal mines makes it possible to bring the concentration of harmful substances in the exhaust gases to the required standards. The proposed composition is recommended for further tests in the production conditions of JSC SUEK-Kuzbass coal mines.
- Chebotarev A.G. The state of the working conditions of mining enterprise employees. Gornaya Promyshlennost = Mining Industry. 2018. № 1 (137). pp. 92–95. (In Russ.).
- GOST R 53648—2009. Underground diesel locomotives. General technical requirements and test methods. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200082734 (accessed: November 10, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Mine monorail diesel locomotive BIZON 120-X. Available at: http://www.kps-t.ru/index.php?id=58 (accessed: November 10, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Davies B. The control of diesel particulates in underground coal mines. Available at: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/10826209.pdf (accessed: November 10, 2019).
- Eremeeva A. M., Kondrasheva N. K., Korshunov G.I. Method to reduce harmful emissions when diesel locomotives operate in coal mines. Topical Issues of Rational Use of Natural Resources. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2019. pp. 10–16. DOI: 10.1201/9781003014577
- Bagley S.T., Watts W.F., Johnson J.P., Kittelson D.B., Johnson J.H., Schauer J.J. Impact on Low-Emission Diesel Engines on Underground Mine Air Quality. Available at: http://www.me.umn.edu/centers/cdr/reports/MiningReport.pdf (accessed: November 10, 2019).
- Cohen H.J., Borak J., Hall T., Sirianni G., Chemerynski S. Exposure of miners to diesel exhaust particulates in underground nonmetal mines. AIHA Journal. 2002. Vol. 63. pp. 651–658. DOI: 10.1080/15428110208984753
- Davies B. Application of an Elemental Carbon Analyser to the Measurement of Particulate Levels from Diesel Vehicles. ACARP Report C7014. Brisbane: Australian Coal Association Research Project, 2000.
- Anchita J. HYDRO-IMP Technology for Upgrading of Heavy Petroleum. Journal of Mining Institute. 2017. Vol. 224. pp. 229–234. DOI: 10.18454/PMI.2017.2.229
- Bezergianni S., Dimitriadis A. Comparison between different types of renewable diesel. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2013. Vol. 21. pp. 110–116. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2012.12.042
- Kondrasheva N.K., Eremeeva A.M., Nelkenbaum K.S. Development of domestic technology for production of high quality environmentally friendly diesel fuel. Izvestiya vuzov. Ser. «Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya» = News of the universities. Series «Chemistry and Chemical Technology». 2018. Vol. 61. Iss. 9–10. pp. 76–82. (In Russ.).
- Kondrasheva N.K., Eremeeva A.M., Nelkenbaum K.S., Baulin O.A., Dubovikov O.A. Development of environmentally friendly diesel fuel. Petroleum Science and Technology. 2019. Vol. 37. № 12. pp. 1478–1484. DOI: 10.1080/10916466.2019.1594285
- Kharitonov I.L., Tereshkin A.I., Kornev A.V., Korshunov G.I., Korneva M.V. Development of Measures on the Improvement of Dust Environment in the Coal Mines Working Faces. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2019. № 12. pp. 53–59. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2019-12-53-59