The problem of the limited approach to the method of assessing the biological factor is considered. It is noted that the influence of the biological factor is underestimated for certain professional groups.
Assessment of the biological factor is based only on the current methodology for conducting a special assessment of the working conditions, which determines the hazard class for the microorganisms-producers depending on the excess of their maximum allowable concentration in the working area air. For pathogenic microorganisms, the hazard class is determined according to the Classification of biological agents by the pathogenicity groups. In both cases, the occupational risks of the employees in contact with the biological environment are not considered.
Additional hazardous factors of the biological agents were identified. This will help to assess more fully the biological factor without leaving out the various biological risks. Similar assessment of the biological factor will allow to determine the class of employees working conditions more accurately.
It is proposed to improve the methodology for the assessment of the biological factor, which considers the occupational risks of the wastewater treatment plant employees. Calculation of the index of their occupational risk carried out using the Fine — Kinney method is shown.
The conclusion is made about the expediency and necessity of considering occupational risks in the methodology of biological factor assessment. This accounting will allow to determine more precisely the class of the working conditions for the undervalued individual professional group — employees of the wastewater treatment plants.
2. Putilin S.E. Biological factor at the certification of the workplaces in the modern conditions. Bezopasnost i okhrana truda = Occupational safety and health. 2011. № 2. pp. 37–39. (In Russ.)
3. On the approval of the Methodology for conducting a special assessment of the working conditions, Classifier of harmful and (or) hazardous production factors, the report form for conducting a special assessment of the working conditions and instructions on filling out it: Order of the Ministry of Labor of the Russian Federation № 33n of January 24, 2014. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/499072756 (accessed: October 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
4. GN 18.104.22.16837—18, GN 22.214.171.12438—18. Maximum allowable concentrations (MAC) of the microorganisms-producers, bacterial preparations, and their components in the atmospheric air of urban and rural settlements and in the air of the working area. Moscow: Federalnyy tsentr gigieny i epidemiologii Rospotrebnadzora, 2019. 24 p. (In Russ.).
5. SP 1.3.3118—13. Safety of work with the micro-organisms of I–II groups of pathogenicity (hazard). Moscow: Federalnyy tsentr gigieny i epidemiologii Rospotrebnadzora, 2014. 195 p. (In Russ.).
6. Crook B., Bardos R.P., Lacey J. Domestic waste composting plants as sources of airborne micro-organisms. Proceedings of 2nd Conference on «Aerosols — their Generation, Behavior and Applications». London: The Aerosol Society, 1988. pp. 63–68.
7. Alikbaeva L.A. Scientific basis for ensuring hygienic safety of the operation of urban wastewater treatment plants with the technology of sewage sludge incineration: abstract of the thesis... Doctor of Medical Sciences. Saint-Petersburg, 2007. 46 p. (In Russ.).
8. Rylander R. Health effects among workers in sewage treatment plants. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 1999. Vol. 56. № 5. рр. 354–357. DOI: 10.1136/oem.56.5.354
9. SP 1.3.2322—08. Safety of work with the micro-organisms of III–IV groups of pathogenicity (hazard) and pathogens of parasitic diseases. Available at: https://interlabservice.ru/consulting/adv/files/1-3-2322-08.pdf (accessed: October 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
10. Topanov I.O. Hygienic characteristics of the working conditions when processing solid household waste: abstract of the thesis... Candidate of Medical Sciences. Saint-Petersburg, 2004. 22 p. (In Russ.).
11. GOST 126.96.36.199—2018. Occupational safety standards system. Нealth management systems. Risk assessment methods to ensure the safety of work. Interstate standard. Moscow: Standartinform, 2019. 18 p. (In Russ.).
12. How to conduct an occupational risk assessment. Available at: http://oktregion.ru/upload/iblock/2d0/Provedenie_ocenki_prof_riskov.pdf (accessed: October 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
13. R 2.2.1766—03. Guidelines for the assessment of occupational health risks for employees. Organizational and methodological foundations, principles, and evaluation criteria. Moscow: Federalnyy tsentr gossanepidnadzora Minzdrava Rossii, 2004. 24 p. (In Russ.).