The methodology of laboratory modeling of the loading of utor welded joint of the tank is presented. The methodology is based on testing of the special design sample. It allows under uniaxial tension on the typical servo-hydraulic machines to reproduce in the zone of a utor welded joint the combined action of bending and shear forces, similar to that which occurs during the operation of a vertical cylindrical tank.
To assess the distribution of the stress-strain state in the proposed design of the sample under its loading, the finite element modeling was performed in the ANSYS software package. It showed the fundamental correspondence of the stress distribution in the zone of the utor node in the sample and in the real tank.
The experimental studies consisted in carrying out tests for the durability of a series of 16 samples loaded with the maximum force in the cycle, causing the calculated stresses in the zone of the welded utor node in the range of 100–200 % from the maximum permissible ones. The obtained results showed that the maximum loaded zone, where the destruction of the samples occurred, is the near-seam zone of the utor welded joint on the inside of the tank. This corresponds to the statistics of the real tank failures.
It is established that the developed methodology ensures the possibility of carrying out correct resource tests of the tank utor welded joints. It is also possible to vary the stress-strain state scheme within a wide range in the area of the utor welded joint by changing the design parameters of the test sample. In compliance with the regulated welding technologies and the absence of unacceptable defects in the welded joint, the utor node has a high resource, which significantly exceeding 50 years of the tank operation.
2. Makhutov N.A., Cherepanov A.P., Lisanov M.V. Tasks of the Development and Implementation of Enterprise Industrial Safety Management System when Operating Technical Devices. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2021. № 2. pp. 15–19. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2021-2-15-19
3. Kharionovskiy V.V. Management of the Main Gas Pipelines Technical Condition. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2020. № 3. pp. 40–47. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2020-3-40-47
4. Shahrokhabadi S., Cao T.D., Vahedifard F. Thermal effects on hydromechanical response of seabed-supporting hydrocarbon pipelines. International journal of geomechanics. 2020. № 1. pp. 04019143. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0001534
5. Zorin A.E. The design of the sample for mechanical testing of pipe metal. Territorija «NEFTEGAZ» = Oil and Gas Territory. 2015. № 3. pp. 124–128. (In Russ.).
6. Kudryavtsev I.V., Naumchenkov N.E. Fatigue of the welded structures. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1976. 276 p. (In Russ.).
7. Vasilev G.G., Katanov A.A., Semin E.E. Assessment of the durability of utor nodes of the vertical cylindrical tanks during operation. Zhurnal neftegazovogo stroitelstva = Oil and Gas Construction Journal. 2012. № 4. pp. 36–41. (In Russ.).
8. Vostrov V.K., Katanov A.A. Calculation of stresses and displacements in the utor node and tank corner bottom edges. Montazhnye i spetsialnye raboty v stroitelstve = Installation and special works in construction. 2005. № 8. pp. 22–26. (In Russ.).
9. Skornyakov A.A., Fayrushin A.M. Upgrading of the construction of the steel vertical tank’s corner weld joint of the side wall and the bottom. Nauka i tekhnologii truboprovodnogo transporta nefti i nefteproduktov = Oil & Oil Products Pipeline Transportation: Science & Technologies. 2014. № 2 (14). pp. 32–37. (In Russ.).
10. Simon K. Oil and gas storage tank risk analysis// Risk analysis for prevention of hazardous situation in petroleum and natural gas engineering. Hershey: IGI Global, 2013. pp. 303–321. DOI:10.4018/978-1-4666-4777-0.ch014
11. Bigdoli M.O., Kashyzadeh K.R., Koloor S.S.R., Petru M. Estimation of critical dimensions for the crack and pitting corrosion defects in the oil storage tank using finite element method and Taguchi approach. Metals. 2020. Vol. 10. Iss. 10. pp. 1–15. DOI: 10.3390/met10101372
12. Goncharov N.G., Yushin A.A., Derkach D.V. Study of how welding methods impact the stress build-up in storage tank walls. Pipeline science and technology. 2018. Vol. 2. № 3. pp. 179–186. DOI:10.28999/2514-541X-2018-2-3-179-186
13. Semin E.E. Assessment of durability of the utor nodes of vertical steel tanks during operation: thesis ... Doctor of Technical Sciences. Moscow, 2012. 147 p. (In Russ).
14. Zorin A.E., Zorin E.E., Kolesnikov O.I., Skornyakov A.A. Sample for testing of utor welded joint of a tank. Patent RF. № 207515. Applied: May 14, 2021. Published: October 1, 2021. (In Russ.).