The greatest danger for potash and salt mines is sudden rushes into the mine workings of the over-saline water, which is fresh or low salt brine. The main reason for the rush of the over-saline water into the underground area is insufficient capacity of the water-blocking ceiling (thickness) with the adopted mining parameters. Under current conditions, the rush of the water-blocking thickness and entry of the brines into a potash or salt mine are usually irreversible. Thus, the flooding of the mine in most cases leads to its end, loss of mineral reserves and various environmental problems.
The latest period of potash mine flooding is considered, when the brines entering through the water-blocking thickness into the mine workings cut off the aerodynamic connections between the mine ventilation network and the atmosphere. In this case, the process of flooding of the mine is accompanied by the dissolution of rocks and the intense release of combustible and explosive gases into the worked-out area. The mathematical model of the air-gas mixture removal from the mine flood-free area using the pipeline system was developed. As a result of the simulation, it was shown that the influence of the resistance of the piping system is quite small and does not ensure significant resistance to the influx of brine into the worked-out area. Maximum flow rate of gas-air mixture at the outlet of the pipeline, and the content of combustible gases in the mixture depend on the option of draining-out of gases. The concentration of combustible gases in the outgoing stream will be increasing, and at a certain moment will exceed their maximum allowable content. In this regard, application of mixing chamber for diluting air-gas mixture emanating to the surface of the mine up to the maximum permissible concentrations of combustible and explosive gases using a forced draft source or due to ejection effect is proposed in the article.
- Laptev B.V. Historiography of Accidents when Developing Salt Mines. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2011. № 12. pp. 41–46. (In Russ.).
- Laptev B.V., Kozachenko M.G. On the problems of development of Iletsk rock salt deposit. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2004. № 6. pp. 53–54. (In Russ.).
- Zubov V.P., Smychnik A.D. Reduction of risks of flooding potash mines in case of rush into the underwater mining. Zapiski Gornogo instituta = Journal of Mining Institute. 2015. Vol. 215. pp. 29–37. (In Russ.).
- Kologrivko A.A. Reduction of the geoecological consequences at the underground mining of potash deposits. Vestnik Polotskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya F. Prikladnye nauki. Stroitelstvo = Bulletin of Polotsk State University. Series F. Applied Sciences. Construction. 2014. № 16. pp. 101–110. (In Russ.).
- Ponomarenko T. Ecological, economic and social consequences of emergency situations in the potash mines. Management Systems in Production Engineering. 2012. № 2 (6). pp. 28–31.
- Cocker M.D., Orris G.J. World Potash Developments. Proceedings of the 48th Annual Forum on the Geology of Industrial Minerals. Phoenix, 2012. pp. 1–16.
- Whyatt J., Varley F. Catastrophic Failures of Underground Evaporite Mines. Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Ground Control in Mining. Morgantown, 2008. pp. 113–122.
- Zemskov A.N., Kondrashev P.I., Travnikova L.G. Natural gases of potash deposits and measures to combat them. Perm: Tipografiya kuptsa Tarasova, 2008. 412 p. (In Russ.).
- Andreyko S.S., Ivanov O.V., Nekrasov S.V. Formation of gas accumulations in the worked-out area of «B» layer during flooding of BKPRU-1 mine. Problemy kompleksnogo osvoeniya mestorozhdeniy poleznykh iskopaemykh v Permskom krae: materialy kraevoy nauch.-tekhn. konf. (Problems of integrated development of the mineral deposits in the Perm Territory: materials of the regional scientific and technical conference). Perm: Izd-vo Permskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta, 2007. pp. 134–140. (In Russ.).
- Andreyko S.S., Ivanov O.V. Assessment of the possibility of formation of free gases accumulations in the worked-out area of the carnallite layer «B» in case of flooding of BKPRU-1 mine of OAO «Uralkali». Gornaya mekhanika = Mining mechanics. 2009. № 3. pp. 12–17. (In Russ.).
- Govorukhin Yu.M., Domrachev A.N., Krivolapov V.G., Paleev D.Yu., Filatov Yu.M. On the Efficiency of Degassing of the Extraction Sites for the Conditions of Flat Layers of Kuzbass South. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2017. № 12. pp. 11–17. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2017-12-11-17
- Klebanov F.S. Air in the mine: A treatise on the coal mines ventilation. Moscow: Izd. dom «Imidzh», 1995. 600 p. (In Russ.).