In paragraph 10 of Chapter 2 of the Methodology for determining the calculated values of fire risk at the production facilities, the list of the most likely events that may be the causes of fire-hazardous situations is presented. This list contains the phrase «the appearance of ignition sources in the places of formation of combustible gas-air mixtures». There are no more specific mentions about the probability of a fire from static electricity discharges and lightning strikes, as well as any other sources.
This situation, at first glance, does not pose any problem, since it is assumed that the specialist performing the calculation will have to consider the likelihood of ignition sources appearing in places of the formation of combustible gas-air mixtures, which, obviously, will include both a lightning strike and its secondary manifestations, as well as a discharge of static electricity. However, lightning protection is not a part of the technological process of a production facility, but only ensures its safety. Also, lightning protection may not provide protection for an object with an explosive and fire hazardous technological process (for example, it does not correspond in parameters) or be absent altogether, which in practice will not in any way affect the procedure for calculating fire risk according to the specified methodology, in which the presence (absence) of a lightning protection system is not considered in any way. At the same time, fire statistics indicate the large number of fires from lightning and from discharges of static electricity.
The 1st place in the world among large countries in the number of people killed in fires is an important indicator testifying the need for systemic changes in the approach to ensuring fire safety in Russia. Nowadays, it is often easier for an owner or tenant to obtain a document on the safety of an object than to ensure this safety in real practice. This cannot be achieved only by control — it is required to motivate all the participants for safety (for example, through compulsory insurance), which would become profitable to ensure fire safety.
2. Technical regulation on fire safety requirements (version effective from April 30, 2021): Federal Law of July 22, 2008 № 123-FZ. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/902111644 (accessed: May 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
3. Technical regulations on the safety of buildings and structures: Federal Law of July 2, 2013 № 185-FZ. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/902192610 (accessed: May 30, 2021).
4. Gordienko D.M. Fires and fire safety in 2019. Statistical collection. Statistics of fires and their consequences. Мoscow: VNIIPO, 2020. 80 p. (In Russ.).
5. Sadgrove K. The Complete Guide to Business Risk Management. 3rd Ed. London, 2015. 578 p. DOI: 10.4324/9781003075073
6. On Federal state fire supervision (as amended on June 25, 2021): Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of April 12, 2012 № 290. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/902341612?section=text (accessed: July 19, 2021). (In Russ.).
7. IEC 62305-2:2010. Protection against lightning — Part 2: Risk management. Available at: https://webstore.iec.ch/preview/info_iec62305-2%7Bed2.0%7Den.pdf (accessed: May 30, 2021).
8. TKP 336—2011 (02230). Lightning protection of buildings, structures, and utilities. Minsk: Minenergo, 2011. 187 p. (In Russ.).
9. Verevkin V.N., Mikhaylova E.D., Tomilin A.V., Markov A.G. Physics of Electrostatic Phenomena in the Technical Regulation of Static Electricity Fire Safety. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2018. № 3. pp. 14–20. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2018-3-14-20
10. Brushlinsky N.N., Ahrens M., Sokolov S.V., Wagner P. World Fire Statistics: Report № 26, CFS of CTIF. Available at: https://www.ctif.org/sites/default/files/2021-06/CTIF_Report26_0.pdf (accessed: July 19, 2021).
11. The draft of the federal law «On fire insurance». Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/902199738/titles/V6MGHP (accessed: May 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
12. Nemchenko S.B. The draft law on compulsory fire insurance: problems and prospects. Pozharnaya bezopasnost: problemy i perspektivy = Fire safety: problems and prospects. 2010. № 1. pp. 60–62. (In Russ.).