Today, one of the key tasks of the state policy is the development of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation, and the development of the Northern Sea Route. The drivers of the economic growth of the territory are the projects for the development of mineral resources with ensuring environmental and industrial safety. Some projects are implemented in the areas remote from the systems of the main pipelines and railways, which determines the optimal transportation of products by sea. The flow of minerals will be governing for the development of Arctic shipping.
In the water area of the Northern Sea Route, it is currently planned to implement 14 projects for the development of mineral resources and the transportation of product of oil and gas and mining complexes, nine of which require year-round export. Also, an indispensable condition is ensuring safety of navigation in the water area the Northern Sea Route. Therefore, the required condition for organizing year-round safe navigation in the water area of the Northern Sea Route is an availability of the sufficient number of icebreakers.
The projects of the development of mineral resources with the export of the products through the water area of the Northern Sea Route are considered; modeling of logistic schemes of products transportation is given. The prospects are analyzed concerning the development of the linear Arctic icebreaker fleet in Russia, the icebreaker support of mineral extraction projects with year-round products transportation is assessed. There is a high level of probability that the projects for the development of mineral resources in the Gulf of Ob, on the river of Yenisei and the Yenisei Gulf may be insufficiently supported by the icebreakers. Ways are proposed related to solving the expected problem, in particular, the construction of non-nuclear icebreakers at the expense of the mining companies.
- Moe A., Brigham L. Organization and Management Challenges of Russia`s Icebreaker fleet. Vserossiyskiy ekonomicheskiy zhurnal EKO = All-Russian Economic Journal ECO. 2016. № 5. pp. 18–27. Available at: https://ecotrends.ru/index.php/eco/article/view/1475 (accessed: November 20, 2019). (In Russ.). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.30680/ECO0131-7652-2016-5-18-27
- Hildebrand L.P., Brigham L.W., Johansson T.M. Sustainable Shipping in a Changing Arctic. Springer, 2018. 486 p. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-78425-0
- Savinov Yu.A., Ganzhinova S.A. Prospects of Russia’s shelf projects in the Arctic Region. Rossiyskiy vneshneekonomicheskiy vestnik = Russian Foreign Economic Journal. 2017. № 4. pp. 25–32. Available at: http://www.rfej.ru/rvv/id/100453B05/$file/25-32.pdf (accessed: November 20, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Malashenkov B.M., Akchurin L.I. Problems and prospects of development of oil and gas deposits on the Arctic shelf of the Russian Federation. Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta. Ser. 21. Upravlenie (gosudarstvo i obshchestvo) = Moscow University Bulletin. Series 21. Public Administration. 2015. № 2. pp. 49–64. Available at: http://www.spa.msu.ru/uploads/files/stati/malashenkov_akshurin.pdf (accessed: November 20, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Henderson J., Loe J. The Prospects and Challenges for Arctic Oil Development// Oxford Institute for Energy Studies OIES PAPER. Available at: https://www.oxfordenergy.org/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/WPM-56.pdf?v=f9308c5d0596 (accessed: November 20, 2019).
- Donskoy S.E., Grigorev M.N. Approaches to distinguishing mineral-raw material centres of oil and their resource base development management. Geologiya nefti i gaza = Oil and Gas Geology. 2010. № 5. pp. 24–28. Available at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bCwpRhYduYWlZkcDdlUTBKa0E/view (accessed: November 20, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Grigorev M.N. Logistical Schemes for Mineral Commodities Year-round Shipment in the Water Area of the Northern Sea Route. Arkticheskie vedomosti = The Arctic Herald. 2019. № 2 (27). pp. 84–94. Available at: http://arctic-herald.ru/?p=707 (accessed: November 20, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Rules for the classification and construction of the ships. Part I. Classification. Russian Maritime Register of Shipping. Available at: https://rs-class.org/upload/iblock/346/3460eb669fb1bcfc1df18bdafa737485.pdf (accessed: November 20, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Icebreakers arrangement plan for 2019–2020. Available at: http://www.morflot.ru/deyatelnost/napravleniya_deyatelnosti/morskoy_flot/ledokolnoe_obespechenie_/rasstanovka_ledokolov/f3398.html (accessed: November 20, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Norinickel and Gazprom Neft rent Rosatom icebreakers for 10 years. Available at: https://www.rbc.ru/business/06/12/2019/5de8fff39a79470b36b2925c (accessed: December 06, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Regulated activities of the subjects of natural monopolies. Available at: http://www.rosatomflot.ru/uslugi/rabota-atomnogo-ledokolnogo-flota/ (accessed: December 01, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Strategy of the development of shipbuilding industry for the period until 2035. Available at: http://minpromtorg.gov.ru/common/upload/docVersions/5b351b8fef02c/actual/2553-р_от_29.10.2019.pdf (accessed: November 15, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Krapotkin D.E. Development of the icebreaker fleet for ensuring national Arctic projects. Materials of the XII International conference «Development of the Arctic shelf: step by step». Available at: http://www.murmanshelf-conf.ru/archive/presentations/2019/nov/АТОМФЛОТ%20_Крапоткин.pdf (accessed: November 15, 2019). (In Russ.).