Relevance of the problem for ensuring fire safety of electrical wiring is associated with very unfavorable statistics of fires in Russia. Annually, electrical wiring according to the main fire hazard indicators (number of fires, direct damage and the number of people perished in fires) traditionally by a wide margin take the first place among all other types of electrical installations.
In this regard, FGBU VNIIPO EMERCOM of Russia, along with the specialized organizations and supervisory authorities is taking measures on reducing this fire hazard: widening of the nomenclature, improvement of the quality and reliability of electrical protection, etc.
In Russia, arcover protection devices can rightly be attributed to the new types of electrical protection, which, in a proactive manner of the manufacturers already begin to take root in the absence of the correct regulatory support and the required certification control.
Experience of using arcover protection devices from abroad and the regulatory requirements applied to them are analyzed in the article.
The algorithm and principles of these protection devices functioning are considered, as well as the analytical analysis of the thermophysical processes occurring in the arc discharges in case of damage of the conductors, which fire hazard should be prevented by the arcover protection devices.
Practical significance of work is in analyzing the results of large-scale experimental studies of arcover protection devices, which were performed in the Institute for compliance with the requirements of GOST IEC 62606—2016, and assessment of their efficiency in the conditions of actual operation at the facility.
The result of work is the recommendations on updating algorithm for arcover protection devices actuation and clarifying possible areas of their application at the industrial facilities inclusive.
- Smelkov G.I. Fire safety of electric circuit wiring. Moscow: OOO «Kabel», 2009. 328 p. (In Russ.).
- Verevkin V.N., Pekhotikov V.A. Fire hazard assessment of electrical products (draft of the International Standard IEC 60695-1-11). Pozharnaya bezopasnost = Fire Safety. 2008. № 3. pp. 96–102. (In Russ.).
- Hall J. Home Electrical Fires. Quincy: National Fire Protection Association Fire Analysis and Research Division, 2012. Jan. 145 p.
- Manche A. GFCI and AFCI Basics. Available at: https://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/2012/05/16/gfci-and-afci-basics/ (accessed: October 10, 2019).
- Home Fires Involving Electrical Distribution and Lighting Equipment – 2010. Quincy: NFPA Fire Analysis & Research, 2012. 145 p.
- 2010 Residential Building Electrical Malfunction Fire Trends. USFA Fire Estimate Summary, Dec. 2011. Available at: https://www.hsdl.org/?abstract&did=732355 (accessed: October 10, 2019).
- UL 1699. Standard for Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters. ANSI Approved: 11.05.2013. Available at: https://standardscatalog.ul.com/standards/en/standard_1699_3 (accessed: may 1, 2019).
- IEC 62606:2013. General requirements for arc fault detection devices. Available at: https://webstore.iec.ch/preview/info_iec62606%7Bed1.0%7Db.pdf (accessed: October 10, 2019).
- DIN VDE 0100-420 VDE 0100-420:2016-02. Errichten von Niederspannungsanlagen. Available at: https://www.vde-verlag.de/normen/0100304/din-vde-0100-420-vde-0100-420-2016-02.html (accessed: October 10, 2019).
- BSI BS 7671:2008. Requirements for Electrical Installations — IEE Wiring Regulations. 17th Ed. Stevenage: The Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2008.
- GOST R IEC 60050-826—2009. Electrical installations. Terms and definitions. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/gost-r-mek-60050-826-2009 (accessed: October 10, 2019).
- Monakov V.K., Kudryavtsev D.Yu., Kozyrev A.A. Principle of operation of the device for protecting electrical installations from arc faults. Elektro. Elektrotekhnika, elektroenergetika, elektrotekhnicheskaya promyshlennost = Electro. Electrical engineering, electric power industry, electrical engineering industry. 2014. № 1. pp. 28–31. (In Russ.).
- Monakov V.K., Kudryavtsev D.Yu., Smirnov V.V. Calculation of the time-current characteristic of arc fault protection device/arcover based on the model of a sequential arc fault when a cable conductor breaks. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 2016. Vol. 25. № 11. pp. 45–50. (In Russ.).
- GOST IEC 62606—2016. Protection devices for household and similar purposes during arcover. General requirements. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200145501 (accessed: October 10, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Mkrtumov A.S., Nemtsov A.N., Nemtsov F.N. Patent RF. № 2528137. Method for automated fire prevention from sparking in the electric networks or electrical installations, and device for its implementation. Applied: August 17, 2012. Published: October 9, 2014. Bulletin № 25.
- GOST R 50571.4.42—2017. Low voltage electrical installations. Part 4-42. Protection for ensuring safety. Protection against thermal effects. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200156987 (accessed: October 10, 2019). (In Russ.).
- SP 256.1325800.2016. Electrical installations of residential and public buildings. Rules for design and installation. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200139957 (accessed: October 10, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Smelkov G.I., Kopylov N.P., Pekhotikov V.A. Current Issues of Assessment and Ensuring Electrical Wiring Fire Safety. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2019. № 6. pp. 38–44. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2019-6-38-44