Small business plays a significant role in the economy of the state and in providing employment for the population. This is confirmed by the statistical indicators of the share of small business in the gross domestic product of the Republic of Uzbekistan over the past 5 years — in 2020 it reached 48 %, while the share of employment in the small business sector was 68 %. Considering that the small business sector during the pandemic often escaped the attention of the state control over working conditions, it can be concluded that a significant part of the small business employees works in potentially unsafe conditions.
The main economic and social problems in the sphere of small and medium-sized businesses, directly or indirectly affecting occupational safety are considered in the article. Analysis of the statistical data revealed the dependence between the economic destabilization, and an increase in incidents: their growth in 2020 amounted to almost 50 % in relation to 2019.
It is concluded that forcing small businesses to work in accordance with the international codes and the current Occupational safety and health management system in the event of a crisis is inappropriate. Proposals were formulated on transforming the work of such enterprises, considering their capabilities, in three stages:
mass audit of Occupational safety and health management system of small enterprises considering their structural and target differences;
systematization of occupational safety management processes in the small businesses;
introduction of Occupational safety and health management system as the main anti-crisis measure for the small businesses.
2. Labor Code of the Republic of Uzbekistan (approved by the law of the Republic of Uzbekistan of December 21, 1995). Available at: https://nrm.uz/contentf?doc=4084_trudovoy_kodeks_respubliki_uzbekistan_(accessed: June 8, 2021). (In Russ.).
3. On the amendments and additions to the Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan «On occupational safety»: law of the Republic of Uzbekistan of September 22, 2016 № ZRU-410. Available at: https://nrm.uz/contentf?doc=479369_zakon_respubliki_uzbekistan_ot_22_09_2016_g_n_zru-410_o_vnesenii_izmeneniy_i_dopolneniy_v_zakon_respubliki_uzbekistan_ob_ohrane_truda_(prinyat_zakonodatelnoy_palatoy_10_03_2016_g_odobren_senatom_25_08_2016_g_)&products=1_vse_zakonodatelstvo_uzbekistana (accessed: June 8, 2021). (In Russ.).
4. Standard regulation on the organization of work on occupational safety. Available at: https://nrm.uz/contentf?doc=13648_tipovoe_polojenie_ob_organizacii_rabot_po_ohrane_truda_(utverjdeno_mintrudom_29_06_1996_g_zaregistrirovano_myu_14_08_1996_g_n_273 (accessed: June 8, 2021). (In Russ.).
5. Number of accidents at work in the Republic of Uzbekistan (for the reporting year; units). Available at: https://data.gov.uz/ru/datasets/8574 (accessed: June 8, 2021). (In Russ.).
6. World Statistic. The enormous burden of poor working conditions. Available at: https://www.ilo.org/moscow/areas-of-work/occupational-safety-and-health/WCMS_249276/lang--ru/index.htm (accessed: June 8, 2021). (In Russ.).
7. ISO 45001. Occupational health and safety management systems. Requirement with guidance for use. Available at: https://iso-management.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/ISO-45001-2018-perevod-ot-31-03-2018.pdf (accessed: June 8, 2021). (In Russ.).
8. Regulation on the procedure for conducting an audit of the occupational health and safety management system in an organization: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan dated April 27 2017 № 246. Available at: http://base.spinform.ru/show_doc.fwx?rgn=96402#A4WR0DMRTB (accessed: June 8, 2021). (In Russ.).
9. Atabaev K.A. Improvement of the auditing mechanism of the labor safety management system. Proceedings of Multidisciplinary International Scientific-Practical Conference «Current Issues of Science, Education and Industry in Modern Research». 2020. pp. 32–41. (In Russ.).
10. Atabaev K.A., Petrosova L.I., Atabaeva M.M. Incompatibility of current labor protection legislation with small business entities. ERPA International Journal of Economic Growth and Environmental Issues. 2020. Vol. 8. Iss. 3. pp. 91–96. DOI: 10.36713/epra0713
11. Lobanov D.I., Petelina E.A., Bagreeva E.G. Adaptation of an entrepreneur during a pandemic. Obrazovanie i pravo = Education and Law. 2020. № 4. pp. 448–453. (In Russ.).
12. Organizational structure of the Ministry of Employment and Labor Relations of the Republic of Uzbekistan. Available at: https://mehnat.uz/ru/pages/struktura-ministerstva (accessed: June 8, 2021). (In Russ.).