At many gas and gas condensate fields in operation, carbon dioxide (СО2) is present in the scope of the produced products, which, in combination with the natural and technological factors, stimulates intensive development of the internal corrosion processes in the pipelines and equipment. The relevance of the development of native regulatory documentation aimed at the assessment of the corrosion effects and development of the practical recommendations for protection against carbon dioxide corrosion in the last decade is due to the development of new gas fields in Russia with a high CO2 content (including on the Russian offshore), where there is a risk of local corrosion development with a high flow rate. The presence of CO2 in the produced gas in combination with the moisture and other factors stimulates the intensive development of corrosion processes and requires careful attention to the assessment of the corrosion aggressiveness of operating environments for selecting an efficient anti-corrosion protection. This is required to ensure reliable and safe operation of the equipment and pipelines made of carbon steel. Pipe low-alloy steel of 09G2S (09Mn2Si) grade, which is the most widely used at the domestic gas facilities, is not resistant to carbon dioxide corrosion. The experience of operating foreign deposits under conditions of carbon dioxide corrosion confirms the need and efficiency of considering this corrosion aspect at the facilities design stage.
Incorrect assessment and underestimation of CO2 hazard in the produced hydrocarbons in relation to steel equipment and pipelines can lead to unaccounted corrosion risks (up to the facility shutdown), significant costs for the elimination of corrosion consequences (repairs, etc.), and the need to select and justify urgent corrective measures. Accounting the Russian and international experience allows to make a reasonable choice of rational technical solutions for efficient and safe operation of the deposits in conditions of carbon dioxide corrosion.
2. Kharionovskiy V.V. Management of the Main Gas Pipelines Technical Condition. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2020. № 3. pp. 40–47. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2020-3-40-47
3. Gimranov R.K., Kantyukov R.A., Butusov O.B., Meshalkin V.P., Popov A.G., Kantyukov R.R. Computer analysis of the integrated indicators and indices for a comprehensive assessment of the effect of gas flows pulsations on the complex pipeline walls. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Ser. «Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya» = Russian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Technology. 2015. № 6 (58). pp. 82–88. (In Russ.).
4. Vagapov R.K., Zapevalov D.N., Ibatullin K.A. Analysis of the effect of the main operating factors on the corrosion situation at gas production facilities in the presence of carbon dioxide. Nauka i tekhnika v gazovoy promyshlennosti = Science and Technology in the Gas Industry. 2020. № 3 (83). pp. 38–46. (In Russ.).
5. STO Gazprom 9.4-023—2013. Corrosion protection. Monitoring and forecast of the corrosion state of the facilities and equipment. Data collection, processing, and analysis system. Basic requirements. Мoscow: OAO «Gazprom», 2014. 68 p. (In Russ.).
6. STO Gazprom 9.3-011—2011. Corrosion protection. Inhibitory corrosion protection of the field facilities and pipelines. Basic requirements. Мoscow: OAO «Gazprom», 2011. 34 p. (In Russ.).
7. Silverstov I.N. About Method of Determining Error-Free Running Time of Pipelines and Steam Pipes Related to All-Over Corrosion Ratio. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2008. № 9. pp. 57–59. (In Russ.).
8. Mitrofanov A.V., Kichenko S.B. Comparison of the results of calculating residual resource of the tank with surface corrosion defects. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2001. № 7. pp. 27–29. (In Russ.).
9. Chirkov Yu.A., Kushnarenko V.M., Agishev V.N., Vyalykh I.L. Assessment of the operating capacity of the field pump and compressor equipment at the Orenburg oil and gas condensate field. Gazovaya promyshlennost = Gas Industry. 2017. № 9. pp. 70–76. (In Russ.).
10. Gunaltun Y., Larrey D., Punpruk S., Suryani S. Design of Multiphase Offshore Gas Pipelines with High Risk of Sweet Top of the Lines Corrosion. NACE Corrosion conference. 2013. Рaper 2290.
11. Singer М. Study of the Localized Nature of Top of the Line Corrosion in Sweet Environment. Corrosion. 2017. № 8 (73). pp. 1030–1055. DOI: 10.5006/2222
12. Vagapov R.K., Zapevalov D.N. Criteria for the assessment of corrosion hazard and the efficiency of inhibitor protection during operation of gas production facilities in the presence of carbon dioxide. Nauka i tekhnika v gazovoy promyshlennosti = Science and Technology in the Gas Industry. 2020. № 2 (82). pp. 60–70. (In Russ.).
13. Vagapov R.K., Zapevalov D.N. Practical aspects of using diagnostic methods together with other data of corrosion control and with simulation tests during operation of gas production objects under corrosion aggressive conditions. Defektoskopiya = Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing. 2020. № 7. pp. 61–76. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.31857/S0130308220070076
14. GOST 9.908—85. Unified system of corrosion and ageing protection. Metals and alloys. Methods for determination of corrosion and corrosion resistance indices. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200007383 (accessed: November 19, 2020). (In Russ.).
15. GOST R 55990—2014. Oil and gas-oil fields. Field pipelines. Design codes. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200110076 (accessed: November 19, 2020). (In Russ.).
16. GOST R 58284—2018. Petroleum and natural gas industries. Offshore installations and pipelines. General requirements for corrosion protection. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200161440 (accessed: November 19, 2020). (In Russ.).
17. GOST R 58216—2018. Petroleum and natural gas industry. Arctic operations. Corrosion protection for offshore structures. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200161338 (accessed: November 19, 2020). (In Russ.).
18. GOST R 54382—2011. Oil and gas industry. Submarine pipeline systems. General requirements. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200086533 (accessed: November 19, 2020). (In Russ.).
19. DNVGL-ST-F101—2017. Submarine Pipeline Systems. Available at: https://standards.globalspec.com/std/10197795/DNVGL-ST-F101 (accessed: November 19, 2020).
20. ISO 21457:2010. Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries — Materials selection and corrosion control for oil and gas production systems. Available at: https://www.iso.org/standard/45938.html (accessed: November 19, 2020).
21. NORSOK M-001. Materials selection. Available at: https://www.standard.no/en/sectors/energi-og-klima/petroleum/norsok-standard-categories/m-material/ (accessed: November 19, 2020).
22. Slugin P.P., Polyanskiy A.V. Optimal method for combating carbon dioxide corrosion of pipelines at Bovanenkovo oil and gas condensate field. Nauka i tekhnika v gazovoy promyshlennosti = Science and Technology in the Gas Industry. 2018. № 2. pp. 104–109. (In Russ.).
23. Koryakin A.Yu., Dikamov D.V., Kolinchenko I.V., Yusupov A.D., Zapevalov D.N., Vagapov R.K. Experience of corrosion inhibitors selection to protect the objects of the second site of achimovsky deposits of Urengoy oil and gas-condensate field from carbon acid corrosion. Oborudovanie i tekhnologii dlya neftegazovogo kompleksa = Equipment and technologies for the oil and gas complex. 2018. № 6. pp. 48–55. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.30713/1999-6934-2018-6-48-55
24. Baydin I.I., Kharitonov A.N., Velichkin A.V., Ilyin A.V., Podolyanskiy E.S. Effect of carbon dioxide in the natural gas of the gas condensate reservoir of the Lower Cretaceous deposits of Yubileynoye oil and gas condensate field on the operation of the UKPG-NTS). Nauka i tekhnika v gazovoy promyshlennosti = Science and Technology in the Gas Industry. 2018. № 2. pp. 23–35. (In Russ.).
25. Piccardino J.R., Stuvik M., Gunaltun Y., Pornthep T. Internal Inspection of Wet Gas Lines Subject to Top of the Line Corrosion. NACE Corrosion conference. 2004. Paper 04354.
26. Wilhelmsen A., Meisingset H., Moxnes S., Knagenhjelm H.O. ORMEN LANGE-1: Extreme subsea conditions drive concept development. Oil & gas journal. 2005. № 45. pp. 62–67.
27. Hagerup O., Olsen S. Corrosion Control by pH Stabilizer, Materials and Corrosion Monitoring in 160 km Multiphase Offshore Pipeline. NACE Corrosion conference. 2003. Paper 03328.