Comparison was conducted related to the current methods for calculating thermal radiation intensity developed by the scientific organizations of EMERCOM of Russia. The bottleneck areas of these methods are specified:
- definition of liquid flow rate for identifying spillage mass, due to failure to consider pumps and compressors operation, is not always accurate;
- lack of data and recommendations for determining the saturated vapor density at the boiling point of liquid and the molar weight of saturated vapor for various petroleum products used to calculate the damaging factors of thermal radiation;
- characteristics of types of fuel (required for calculations) are not provided in the tables on defining the average surface density of the flame thermal radiation depending on the diameter of the source area;
- assumption of the same thermal radiation intensity windward for the same pool fire area at any wind velocities.
The approaches and methods for expansion of practical use of the current approved regulatory methods; formulas (used for calculating thermal radiation intensity) to determine saturated vapor density at boiling point are proposed in the article.
To optimize the current methods the formulas for calculating the molar masses of saturated vapor of petroleum products are given. It is proposed to include them in the current methods for the purpose of making calculations in the absence of the required data.
The results of the calculations and graphic representation of thermal radiation zones caused by the pool fire are presented, which were obtained with the help of formulas to optimize the current methods on determination of the thermal radiation intensity.
The proposed formulas and approaches facilitate the use of the approved methods and eliminate the situations when the user of these methods must himself search for the required formulas and reference data required for calculation.
- NPB 105—03. Determination of the categories of premises, buildings and outdoor installations on explosion-fire and fire hazard: Order of EMERCOM of Russia dated June 18, 2003 № 314. Available at: https://base.garant.ru/12133763/ (accessed: July 05, 2019). (In Russ.).
- On the approval of the methodology for determining the calculated values of fire risk at production facilities (as amended on December 14, 2010): Order of EMERCOM of Russia of July 10, 2009 № 404. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/902170886 (accessed: July 05, 2019). (In Russ.).
- SP 12.13130.2009. Determination of the categories of premises, buildings and outdoor installations on explosion-fire and fire hazard (with Amendment № 1). Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200071156 (accessed: July 05, 2019). (In Russ.).
- GOST R 12.3.047—2012. Occupational safety standards system. Fire safety of technological processes. General requirements. Control methods. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200103505 (accessed: July 05, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Cowley L.T., Johnson A.D. Oil and gas fires: characteristics and impact. London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1992. pp. 126.
- Marshall V. Main hazards of chemical industry. Moscow: Mir, 1989. pp. 148. (In Russ.).
- Moorhose J., Pritchard M.J. The Thermal Radiation Characteristics of LPG Pool Fires. European Seminar on the Pressurised storage of Flammable liquids. London, 1988.
- API Technical Data Book. Chapter 5. Washington, D.C.: American Petroleum Institute, 1997.
- Standard test methods for petroleum products: collection of the scientific papers. Iss. 65. Moscow: TsNIITEneftekhim, 1991. (In Russ.).
- Zinoveva O.M., Mastryukov B.S., Merkulova A.M., Ovchinnikova T.I., Seryanina A.V. Influence of wind speed on damaging factors of the pool fire. Problemy bezopasnosti i chrezvychaynykh situatsiy = Safety and Emergencies Problems. 2017. № 1. pp. 13–18. (In Russ.).
- Glukhov A.V. Improvement of Accidents Consequences Assessment Methods at Fire and Explosion Hazardous Facilities. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2013. № 4. pp. 50–54. (In Russ.).
- Chen Ch., U S.N., Son V.Kh., Lv L.-Yu., Van S.D. Analysis of the limits of applicability of the mathematical models for determining characteristics of the pool fire. Fizika goreniya i vzryva = Combustion, Explosion and Shock Waves. 2014. Vol. 50. № 3. pp. 51–60. URL: https://www.sibran.ru/upload/iblock/c73/c73f81d420db14d5d8cf86f20720f7e2.pdf (accessed: July 05, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Baum H.R., McGrattan K.B. Simulation of large industrial outdoor fires. Available at: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/df84/d5b61629478cf13eb5d4e2691b41555a24c4.pdf (accessed: July 05, 2019). (In Russ.).