The whole complex of adverse effects of hazardous and harmful production factors on the employees most fully reflects such an indicator as occupational risk. In the Labor Code of the Russian Federation, the occupational risk is considered as the likelihood of personnel injury due to exposure to harmful and (or) hazardous production factors when the employee performs the job duties. However, most of the risk assessment methods used are time-consuming and largely subjective.
The concept of «risk» is used when organizing the risk-oriented state control (supervision), since the frequency of scheduled inspections of the organizations (enterprises) depends on the risk category (hazard class).
The analysis is made concerning the methods for determining the potential risk of harm when assigning the objects of state supervision to risk categories. Some serious shortcomings are identified in the existing approach. It is established that the potential risk indicator considers only hazardous production factors through the incidents and their severity. At the same time, the harmful production factors that lead to various kinds of employee diseases are not considered.
The harm caused to the health of employees due to exposure to harmful and hazardous production factors can be comprehensively assessed using the integrated assessment method of working conditions based on the regulatory standard of working time losses from morbidity with temporary disability. It is proposed to calculate the occupational risk index using the integrated assessment methodology. In accordance with the calculated values of the occupational risk index, it is possible to determine the categories of occupational risk and justify the frequency of occupational safety scheduled inspections.
Occupational risk categories can be defined individually for each employee, workplace, structural subdivision, and the organization as a whole, which will allow to address the issue of working conditions improvement and conduct timely occupational safety scheduled inspections.
- Labor Code of the Russian Federation dated December 30, 2001 № 197-FZ (revision from 29.12.2020). Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/901807664 (accessed: September 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
- GOST R 12.0.010—2009. Occupational safety standards system. Occupational safety and health management systems. Hazard and risks identification and estimation of risks. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200080860 (accessed: September 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Guidelines on occupational safety and health management systems. ILO-OSH 2001. Available at: https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---dcomm/---publ/documents/publication/wcms_publ_9221116344_en.pdf (accessed: September 20, 2020).
- ISO 45001:2018. Occupational health and safety management systems. Requirements with guidance for use. BSI, 2018. 54 p.
- Safety and health at work is everyone’s concern. Available at: https://osha.europa.eu/en/publications/risk-assessment-tool (accessed: September 20, 2020).
- Risk: Analysis, Perception and Management. Report of the Royal Society Study Group. London: The Royal Society, 1992. 208 p.
- Makarchuk M.V. Introduction of Risk-Oriented Approach at the Implementation of the Federal State Supervision in the Field of Industrial Safety. Bezopasnost Truda v Promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2018. № 7. рр. 59–66. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2018-7-59-66
- On the application of risk-oriented approach when organizing certain types of state control (supervision) and amending some acts of the Government of the Russian Federation (as amended on November 5, 2020): Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of July 17, 2016, № 806. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/420372694 (accessed: September 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
- MR 5.1.0116—17. Risk-oriented model of control and supervision activities in the field of ensuring sanitary and epidemiological welfare. Classification of economic entities, types of activities and objects of supervision according to the potential risk of harm to human health for the organization of scheduled control and supervision activities. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/555601296 (accessed: September 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
- On the approval of the Regulation on federal state supervision of compliance with labor legislation and other regulatory legal acts containing labor law (as amended on December 27, 2019): Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of September 1, 2012. № 875. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/902367573 (accessed: September 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Gorshkov Yu.G., Bogdanov A.V., Gankova O.A. Certification of the workplaces according to the integral assessment method. Okhrana truda i sotsialnoe strakhovanie = Occupational safety and social insurance. 2001. № 2. рр. 33–36. (In Russ.).
- Bogdanov A.V. Improvement of working conditions and occupational safety based on the use of estimated indicators of the level of employee safety. Bezopasnost zhiznedeatelnosti = Life Safety. 2007. № 12. рр. 2–3. (In Russ.).
- Ganicheva A.V. Probability theory. Saint-Petersburg: Lan, 2017. 144 р. (In Russ.).
- On the state control (supervision) and municipal control in the Russian Federation: Federal Law of July 31, 2020 № 248-FZ. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/565415215 (accessed: September 20, 2020). (In Russ.).