The article is devoted to the assessment of an employee safe behavior taking into account his psycho-physiological state. The subject of the behavioral safety audit is widely applicable both in Russia and abroad.
The conducted analysis of industrial injuries in PAO Gazprom from 2006 to 2017 showed that one of the main causes of the work injuries is failure to take personal safety measures (personal negligence).The event tree was built for one of the work injuries in the group of companies of PAO Gazprom associated with the fall of load on the person, the reasons for which were unsatisfactory organization of work and personal negligence of the victim.
Assessment of the employee safe behavior using the behavioral safety audit was carried out for two professions (turner and electric-gas welder) on the following categories: correct use of the overalls, footwear and other personal protective equipment; correctness and safety of actions during maintenance of production equipment; condition of tools and fixtures; orderliness and working conditions at the workplace; compliance with instructions, rules and procedures; psychological state. Behavioral safety audit card is proposed.
The results of the behavioral safety audit showed rather high level of safe behavior for both electric-gas welders, and the turners. However, individual employees committed violations on such categories of observation as «Correct use of the overalls, footwear and other personal protective equipment» and «Psychological state». Some employees reacted aggressively to the comments made by the auditor. There was also the lack of confidence in the implementation of actions what characterized their behavior as potentially dangerous capable to result in the work injury.
- GOST R 12.0.008—2009. Occupational Safety Standards System. Occupational safety management system in the organizations. Inspection (audit). Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200073864 (accessed: January 27, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Cooper M.D. Behavioral safety interventions. A review of process design factors. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254508709_Behavioral_Safety_Interventions_A_Review_of_Process_Design_Factors (accessed: January 27, 2019).
- Borbidge D.J. Employee behavior. Beverly: Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies, 2006.
- Sulzer-Azaroff B., Austin J. Does BBS Work? BehaviorBased Safety & Injury Reduction: A Survey of the Evidence. Available at: https://aeasseincludes.assp.org/professionalsafety/pastissues/045/07/027724ar.pdf (accessed: January 27, 2019).
- Hodson S. M.W. Kellogg adapts behavior-based safety model to meet the safety challenges of industrial construction worldwide: report. BST, 1999.
- Methodological recommendations for the process of behavioral safety audits in OAO RZhD. Available at: http://oac.rgotups.ru/misc/files/mr_po_proc_pab.pdf (accessed: January 27, 2019). (In Russ.).
- Ryabov A.A. OAO Severstal: industrial safety and occupational safety in priority № 1. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2013. № 7. pp. 4–11. (In Russ.).
- Gershgorin V.S., Petukhova L.P. Human factor and safety culture in industrial activity. Novokuznetsk: NFI KemGU, 2016. 447 p. (In Russ.).
- Tolochek V.A. Labor psychology: Manual. Saint-Petersburg: Piter, 2017. 480 p. (In Russ.).
- Silin A.N., Khayrullina N.G. Personnel management in the oil and gas company: Manual. Moscow: TsentrLitNefteGaz, 2008. 305 p. (In Russ.).
- Glebova E.V., Volokhina A.T., Ivanova M.V., Korobov A.V. Reduction of industrial injuries at the enterprises of the fuel and energy complex by conducting the behavioral safety audit. Bezopasnost zhiznedeyatelnosti = Life safety. 2018. № 8. pp. 13–17. (In Russ.).
- Karnegi D. How to make a good impression on people. How to communicate efficiently with people. How to overcome anxiety and stress. How to make your life easy and interesting. How to become a capable leader. Minsk: Popurri, 2018. 720 p. (In Russ.).