Almost always the results of theoretical research do not bring the desired result in practice. This is especially true if there is at least one alternative (competitive) option for applying the process. Production of the liquefied natural gas is a prime example of the need for an understanding of the choice of a single process option that will provide performance indicators with optimal energy efficiency and acceptable safety during the preliminary design stage of a project. One of the research steps may be a comparative analysis of the results of practical (operation of similar facilities) and theoretical (thermodynamic analysis) assessments of the choice of the natural gas liquefaction process at the stage of the feasibility study of the gas field development project (without considering the financial component).
The task of the presented study was solved based on the indirect comparative analysis of the results of an expert evaluation of operation and theoretical results of a thermodynamic analysis of the liquefaction processes for a project in the territory of the Russian Federation.
The following studies were conducted:
- choice of LNG technologies;
- expert evaluation of large-capacity projects for production of the liquefied natural gas in the climatic conditions close to the Arctic;
- thermodynamic analysis of the energy efficiency of the technological process of large-tonnage production of the liquefied natural gas in the territory of the Russian Federation.
- The result of the study is the integration of safety and efficiency for making a decision on the choice of the technological process of the natural gas liquefaction at the stage of the Safety Case of the gas field development project.
2. Shelygin L.A. General nature of the risk and safety of LNG production on the example of a natural gas liquefaction plant in Sakhalin (Sakhalin-2 project). Upravlenie kachestvom v neftegazovom komplekse = Quality management in oil and gas industry. 2007. № 3. p. 39. (In Russ.).
3. Lee S. Gaumer Jr., Charles L. Combined cascade and multicomponent refrigeration system and method. Patent № US3763658A. Applied: January 12, 1970. Published: October 9, 1973.
4. Stockmann R., Forg W., Bolt M., Steinbauer M., Pfeiffer C., Paurola P., Fredheim A.O., Sorensen O. Method for liquefying a stream rich in hydrocarbons. Patent № US6253574B1. Applied: April 15, 1998. Published: July 3, 2001.
5. ISO 9001:2015. Quality management systems — Requirements. Available at: https://www.iso.org/ru/standard/62085.html (accessed: July 1, 2022).
6. ISO 14001:2015. Environmental management systems — Requirements with guidance for use. Available at: https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/ISO_14001:2015_Environmental_management_systems._Requirements_with_guidance_for_use (accessed: July 1, 2022).
7. ISO 45001:2018. Occupational health and safety management systems — Requirements with guidance for use. Available at: https://www.iso.org/ru/standard/63787.html (accessed: July 1, 2022).
8. ISO/TR 12489:2013. Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries — Reliability modelling and calculation of safety systems. Available at: https://www.iso.org/standard/51456.html#:~:text=ISO%2FTR%2012489%3A2013%20aims,the%20oil%20and%20gas%20industries (accessed: July 1, 2022).
9. Putilov K.A. Physics course. In 3 volumes. Moscow: Fizmatgiz, 1963. (In Russ.).
10. Shelygin L.A. Advanced Technique for Analyzing Thermodynamic Efficiency of Natural Gas Liquefaction Workflow. Nauka i tekhnika v gazovoy promyshlennosti = Science and Technology in the Gas Industry. 2020. № 4 (84). pp. 38–43. (In Russ.).
11. Brodyanskiy V.M., Fratsher V., Mikhalek K. Exergy method and its applications. Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1988. 288 p. (In Russ.).
12. Arkharov A.M. On some features of the thermodynamic analysis of low-temperature systems. Vestnik MGTU im. N.E. Baumana. Ser. «Mashinostroenie». Spets. vyp. «Kholodilnaya i kriogennaya tekhnika, sistemy konditsionirovaniya i zhizneobespecheniya» = Herald of the Bauman Moscow State Technical University named after H.E. Bauman. Spec. Iss. «Refrigeration, cryogenics, air conditioning and life support systems». 2010. № S1. pp. 29–40. (In Russ.).
13. Semenov V.Yu. Development and research of highly efficient low-tonnage natural gas liquefaction plants: thesis ... Doctor of Technical Sciences. Moscow, 2016. 331 p. (In Russ.).
14. Boiarskii M., Khatri A., Kovalenko V. Design optimization of the throttle cycle cooler with mixed refrigerant. Cryocoolers 10. 1999. pp. 457–465. DOI: 10.1007/0-306-47090-X_54