The article solves the problem of assessing duration of the functioning of municipal solid waste landfills based on the environmental risk management. To assess the environmental risk, an approach is applied based on the use of two methods, which are based on: the possibility of obtaining a functional dependence of the environmental risk of a landfill on the rate of its filling; a probabilistic estimate of the costs required to eliminate the possible consequences of the operation of landfills, formed taking into account the data used in accounting.
Analytical expressions were obtained to estimate the optimal operating time of the landfills, their environmental risk, funds means for protecting the environment and compensation for damage depending on their area, as well as the dependence of the total costs on investing in the environmental protection relative to profitability.
For calculations, data on potential costs and values of landfill areas were used on the example of officially registered landfills of municipal solid waste in Moscow region.
Application of the proposed approach allows to predict the optimal environmental risk for a municipal solid waste landfill, while its value is significantly lower than the environmental risk of similar operating landfills in Moscow region. In the presence of a given time of functioning of the landfill for municipal solid waste, the application of the developed approach makes it possible to predict the costs required for its maintenance.
2. Vaverková M.D. Landfill Impacts on the Environment. Geosciences — Review. 2019. № 9 (431). pp. 2–16. DOI: 10.3390/geosciences9100431
3. Mishra Р., Singh N., Shrama C., Pathak A.K. Landfill Emissions and Their Impact on the Environment. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT). 2020. Vol. 9. Iss. 8. pp. 617–622.
4. Sabour M.R., Alam E., Hatami A.M. Global trends and status in landfilling research: a systematic analysis. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management. 2020. Vol. 22. Iss. 3. pp. 711–723. DOI: 10.1007/s10163-019-00968-5
5. State report «On the environment conditions and protection of the Russian Federation in 2018». Moscow: Minprirody Rossii, NPP «Kadastr», 2019. 844 p. (In Russ.).
6. Mereminskaya E. About half of the landfills work with violations. Available at: https://www.vedomosti.ru/economics/articles/2019/07/23/807161-okolo-polovini-musornih-poligonov (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
7. Analysis and assessment of the environmental hazard of municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills in Moscow region. Available at: https://vuzlit.com/1267554/analiz_i_otsenka_ekologicheskoy_opasnosti_poligonov_tverdyh_bytovyh_othodov_tbo_moskovskoy_oblasti (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
8. Tulupov A.S. The theory of damage. General approaches and questions of creation of methodical support. Moscow: Nauka, 2009. 284 p. (In Russ.).
9. Garbage will be dumped on the landfill owner shoulders. Who should pay for the recultivation? Available at: https://www.ecoindustry.ru/news/view/52969.html (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
10. Novikova N. Payment for the environmental pollution. Available at: https://nalog-expert.com/oplata-nalogov/plata-za-zagryaznenie-okruzhayuschey-sredy.html (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
11. Mudretsov A.F., Tulupov A.S. Assessment of ecological danger with reference to municipal waste landfills. Regionalnye problemy preobrazovaniya ekonomiki = Regional problems of economic transformation. 2013. № 3. pp. 242–247. (In Russ.).
12. Methodology for calculating quantitative characteristics of pollutants emissions into the atmosphere from the solid household and industrial waste landfills. Available at: http://www.norm-load.ru/SNiP/Data1/47/47223/ (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
13. Perfilova E.A. Development of the methods for analysis and management of the environmental risk in the energy sector: abstract of the thesis … Candidate of Technical Sciences. Moscow, 2008. 180 p. (In Russ.).
14. Scientific approach showed that the damage from the implementation of the Shies landfill will exceed the benefits. Available at: https://rossaprimavera.ru/news/6c4a7838 (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
15. Millions are from garbage. How waste is turned into income. Available at: https://aif.ru/money/business/milliony_iz_musora_kak_othody_prevrashchayut_v_dohody (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
16. Rayzberg B.A., Lazovskiy L.Sh., Starodubtseva E.B. Modern economic dictionary. Moscow: INFRA, 1997. 496 p. (In Russ.).
17. The cost of placing garbage at the landfill. Available at: https://vyvoz.org/blog/stoimost-razmeshhenija-musora-na-poligone/ (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).
18. Podobaeva L. Government will oblige the landfill owners to pay for their recultivation. How will this affect the tariffs for garbage collection for the population. Available at: https://www.rbc.ru/business/27/01/2021/600ff3c59a794771f2375097/ (accessed: December 30, 2021). (In Russ.).