Welding industry is one of the leaders in the field of investments in the development of technologies and innovations aimed at ensuring functional cost-effectiveness, improving safety and speed of movement in the digital age. Ensuring the reliability and safety of the railway tracks requires the development of new scientific approaches to the use of welding technologies in the construction and operation of a high-speed railway. The main criterion for evaluating efficiency of the new approaches is the quality of the resulting welded joints and the productivity of the welding processes used. Rail connections should be made in such a way from a technical point of view that there are no restrictions during operation, the service life of the rails is not reduced, the percentage of defects does not increase, and the noise level is within the normal limits. The purpose of the study is to substantiate the cost-effectiveness and safety of the introduction of new contact welding technologies in Russia. Technical and economic analysis of welding methods is given, including using the rail welding machines — a new generation of equipment for the contact butt welding of high-strength rails during the construction and reconstruction of a high-speed railway. The Up-to-date technologies are based on the process of contact welding by pulsating reflow, on the one hand ensuring high productivity of the process, and on the other — reducing the influence of the human factor on it. This is achieved through a set of options for controlling the welding process, with online monitoring of the operational characteristics, with the software for storage and the possibility of using robotic welding in the future in the field of digital doubles and processing archived data based on the artificial intelligence as part of the implementation of Smart City projects. Feasibility study is also presented concerning the efficiency of the introduction of contact welding technology by the pulsed reflow on high-speed railway projects of Russia based on reducing the rail joint failures and improving the characteristics of the welding process and safe operation.
2. On the approval of the development program of JSC «Russian Railways» until 2025 (together with the «Long-term Development Program of Open Joint Stock Company «Russian Railways» until 2025»): Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation dated March 19, 2019 № 466-R. Available at: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_320741/ (accessed: September 10, 2021). (In Russ.).
3. Platform for selling tickets for all the types of transport and execution of additional services. Available at: https://im.smarttravel.ru/ (accessed: September 10, 2021). (In Russ.).
4. Beltyukov V.P., Simonyuk I.A., Andreev A.V. Optimization of the system of medium-term planning of the railway track repairs. Put XXI veka: sb. nauch. tr. Mezhdunar. nauch.-metod. konferentsii (14–15 fevralya 2013 g.) (The pathway of the twenty-first century: collection of the scientific papers of the International scientific methodical conference (February 14-15, 2013).). Saint-Petersburg: PGUPS, 2013. pp. 179–187. (In Russ.).
5. Rezanov V.A. Methods of Studying Temperature Changes at Various Distances from Joints While Rail Welding. Vestnik VNIIZhT = Russian Railway Science. 2011. № 4. pp. 40–43. (In Russ.).
6 Kozyrev N.A.,, Usoltsev A.A., Shevchenko R.A., Kryukov R.E., Shishkin P.E. Modern Welding Methods of the Rails of New Generation. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Chernaya metallurgiya = Izvestiya. Ferrous Metallurgy. 2017. Vol. 60. № 10. pp. 785–791. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.17073/0368-0797-2017-10-785-791
7. Braun J., Keichel J., Peters A. Aluminothermic welding: tradition and innovation in continuously welded track. Available at: https://www.elektro-thermit.de/fileadmin/et/user_upload/PDF/Publikationen/Aluminothermisches_Schweissen_ZEVrail_10_2015.pdf (accessed: September 10, 2021).
8. GOST R 51685—2013. Railway rails. General specifications. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200105520 (accessed: September 10, 2021). (In Russ.).
9. DIN EN 13674-1-2017. Railway applications - Track - Rail - Part 1: Vignole railway rails 46 kg/m and above (includes Amendment A1:2017). Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/440188175 (accessed: September 10, 2021).
10. On the approval and implementation of the instruction «Rail defects. Classification, catalog and parameters of defective and acutely defective rails»: Order of JSC «Russian Railways» dated October 23, 2014 № 2499r (as amended on 10.10.2017). Available at: https://base.garant.ru/70867010/ (accessed: September 10, 2021). (In Russ.).
11 Kuchuk-Yatsenko S.I., Krivenko V.G., Didkovskiy A.V., Shvets Yu.V., Kharchenko A.K., Levchuk A.N. Technology and New Generation of Equipment for Flash Butt Welding of Advanced High-Strength Rails for Construction and Reconstruction of High-Speed Railway Lines. Avtomaticheskaya svarka = Automatic Welding. 2012. № 6. pp. 32–37. (In Russ.).
12. On amendments to the Technically substantiated norms of time for work on the current maintenance of the track: order of JSC «Russian Railways» dated August 05, 2015 № 1976r (as amended on 11.01.2018). Available at: https://www.garant.ru/products/ipo/prime/doc/71093102/ (accessed: September 10, 2021). (In Russ.).