V.A. Portola, Dr. Sci. (Eng.), Prof., firstname.lastname@example.org D.E. Skudarnov, Candidate KuzGTU, Kemerovo, Russia S.I. Protasov, Cand. Sci. (Eng.) Innovative firm «KUZBASS-NIIOGR», Kemerovo, Russia S.N. Podobrazhin, Dr. Sci. (Eng.), Lead Expert Rostechnadzor, Moscow, Russia
One of the most serious problems of the coal mining industry is the presence of huge amount of waste causing a great damage to the environment. Pollution of air, water, changes in the composition of the soil layer lead to the degradation of flora and fauna in the zone of influence of the coal-mining enterprises, threaten the health and life of people. Sharp increase in the number of hazardous and harmful factors occurs at emergence of fires at the mining enterprises. Significant hazard is represented by the fires occurring on the rock dumps of the sections, mines and coal washing plants. Coal-bearing rocks are able to be oxidized by air oxygen, which can cause the development of rock spontaneous combustion. The following can intensify the process of spontaneous combustion: heat sources emerging during blasting operations, transportation of rocks in dumping trucks with heating of the truck dump body by heating engine exhaust gases.
The results are given related to the investigation of the parameters of places of spontaneous combustion at two surface dumps. To measure the rock temperature, Testo 880-3 thermal imager was used, which allows to remotely determine the surface temperature in the range from 0 to 350 °C, and ITP-5 contact thermometer submerged to a depth to 1,5 m and measuring the temperature in the range from –40 to + 800 °C. The composition of gases above the surface and in the upper rock layer at a depth of 0,5 m was determined by a portable gas analyzer. The measurement results showed that the areas of endogenous fires can reach hundreds of thousands square meters. Fires have many places at the sides of the dumps, on elevated surface areas and in areas with high air permeability. Temperature of some fire places reaches 500–600 °C. Concentration of carbon monoxide in the surface layer reaches 0,4 %. The analysis is given concerning the efficiency of application of various ways of suppression of the fire bank. Active method requires the supply of big amount of water and does not eliminate preservation of the heated volumes, which can result in a repeated fire. Passive method of extinguishing involves application of insulation layer of clay on the place of spontaneous combustion that leads to its drying and cracking with the resumption of air inflow to the fire places. The most effective is the combined method of extinguishing, which involves decrease of temperature by the refrigerant with subsequent application of the insulating layer on the surface of the dump.
1. Gamov M.I., Gordeev I.V. Main factors and ecological consequences of coal mines spontaneous combustion in the Eastern Donbass. Izvestija vysshih uchebnyh zavedenij. Severo-Kavkazskij region. Ser.: Estestvennye nauki = News of Higher Educational Institutions. North-Caucasian Region. Series: Natural Sciences. 2017. № 2 (194). pp. 92–100.
2. Levkin N.D., Muhina N.E. Effect of the coal mines waste dumps on the environment condition. Aktualnye problemy gumanitarnyh i estestvennyh nauk = Current Problems of Humanitarian and Natural Sciences. 2011. № 5. pp. 277–279.
3. Shestakova I.I. Assessment of ecological hazard of the liable to spontanuously combusted brown coals. Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta = Bulletin of Irkutsk State Technical University. 2012. № 4 (63). pp. 77–80.
4. Skochinskij A.A., Ogievskij V.M. Rudnichnye pozhary (Mine Fires). Moscow: Izd-vo «Gornoe delo», 2011. 375 p.
5. Veselovskij V.S., Alekseeva N.D., Vinogradova L.N., Orleanskaja G.L., Terpogosova E.A. Samovozgoranija promyshlennyh materialov (Spontaneous Combustion of Industrial Materials). Moscow: Nauka, 1964. 246 p.
6. Portola V.A. Assessment of the effect of some factors on spontaneous coal combustion. Journal of Mining Science. 1996. № 32 (6). pp. 536–541.
7. Kachurin N.M., Vorobev S.A., Rybak L.L., Sidorov R.P. Processes of heat-mass-exchange at the waste dumps of the Kuzbass mines. Izvestija Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Nauki o Zemle = News of Tula State University. Sciences about the Earth. 2015. № 2. pp. 48–56.
8. Portola V.A., Protasov S.I., Podobrazhin S.N. Problems and ways of fire hazard decrease at open-pit coal mining. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2004. № 11. pp. 41–43.
9. Portola V.A., Protasov S.I., Torosjan E.S. Experience of suppression of places of spontaneous combustion at flotation tailing dumps. Bezopasnost zhiznedejatelnosti predprijatij v ugolnyh regionah: materialy XI Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf = Life Safety of the Enterprises in the Coal Regions: Materials of the XI International Scientific and Practical Conference. Kemerovo, 2011. pp. 186–189.
10. Portola V.A., Protasov S.I., Torosjan E.S. Fight with spontaneous combustion of the waste dumps. Prirodnye i intellektualnye resursy Sibiri: materialy IX nauch.-prakt. konf = Natural and Intellectual Resources of Siberia: Materials of the IX Scientific and Practical Conference. Kemerovo: KuzGTU, 2012. pp. 50–53.
11. Portola V.A., Torosjan E.S. Coal spontanuous combustion process intensification at truck transportation. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2015. № 1. pp. 46–49.
12. Portola V.A., Beresnev S.V., Torosjan E.S. Effect of motor transport on spontanuous combustion of the waste dumps. Vestnik KuzGTU = Bulletin of KuzGTU . 2011. № 1. pp. 46–49.
13. Portola V.A. Features of suppression of the places of spontanuous combustion of coal in the mines. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2014. № 6. pp. 42–46.
14. Korshunov G.I., Mazanik E.V., Erzin A.H., Kornev A.V. Efficiency of use of surface acting agents for fight against coal dust. Gornyj informacionno-analiticheskij bjulleten = Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin. 2014. № 53. pp. 55–61.
15. Portola V.A., Hramcov V.I. Effect of the compounds applied in the mines on the coal tendency to spontanuous combustion. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2017. № 2. pp. 56–59.
16. Shestakova I.I. Use of the inhibiting substances for preventive actions of spontaneous combustion of the brown coals of the Eastern Siberia and Zabaykalsky Krai. Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta = Bulletin of Irkutsk State Technical University. 2014. № 2 (85). pp. 103–108.
17. Skochinskij A.A., Makarov S.Z. Issledovanija o primenenii antipirogenov pri borbe s rudnichnymi pozharami (Researches on the Application of Antipyrogens at Fight with Miner Fires). Moscow–Leningrad: Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1947. 237 p.