The results are presented concerning the study of break of the hydraulic structure dam and the destructive effect of the water storage pressure front on the objects that turned out to be on the way of its rapid spreading. The purpose of the study is to assess: the probability of the accident occurrence and the expected damage characterized by the manifestation of the cascade effect; contribution to these risk indicators of the prerequisites and the outcome of accident considered when modeling; substantiation of rational strategies and organizational and technical measures to reduce the corresponding risk. Topicality of the study is conditioned by both the catastrophic consequences of such accidents and the limited publications on a priori assessment of risk indicators and the ways to substantiate rational proposals for reducing the likelihood and damage from potential accidents. Proposed technology for the accident risk forecasting of the hydraulic structures includes the development of caused and effect models and their automated system (qualitative and quantitative) analysis, which sets it apart from the well-known works on this problematics. Developed illustrative graph-analytical model includes an incident tree and an event tree. This model considers about 50 significant factors and negative consequences, and its analysis allows to rank them on the degree of their influence on the indicators of the risk assessed. The measures proposed for its reduction concerned the countering of the most significant negative factors and were modeled by the barriers on the way of occurrence and destructive manifestation of the accident. At their selection the costs and effect of their possible implementation were also considered. To reduce the complexity of the quantitative assessment of the considered factors and the calculations for substantiating some of the recommendations became possible owing to the involvement of the unique Russian software package ARBITR.
2. Malik L.K. Risk factors for hydraulic structures damage. Problems related to safety. Moscow: Nauka, 2005. 356 p. (In Russ.).
3. Evdokimov E.I., Kiseleva G.D. Analysis of emergency situations in Russia in 2000–2014. Bezopasnost v tekhnosfere = Safety in the technosphere. 2015. № 3. pp. 48–56. (In Russ.).
4. Stefanovich Dm.V. Probabilistic forecasting of accidents at dams in problems of assessment and supporting their reliability and safety. Tr. Mezhdunar. shkoly analiza bezopasnosti i riska «MABR – 2014» (Proceedings of the International School of Safety and Risk Analysis «MABR – 2014»). Saint Petersburg: SPbGU AP, 2014. pp. 144–150. (In Russ.).
5. Xin Zheng, Xiaohu Xu, Kaili Xu. Study on the Risk Assessment of the Tailings Dam Break. Transactions of the First International Symposium on Mine Safety Science and Engineering. Elsevier, 2011. pp. 2261–2269.
6. Slunga Eero. Concept and Bases of Risk Analysis for Dams. Helsinki: Helsinki University of Technology, 2001. 32 p.
7. Abdrazakov F., Orlova S., Pankova T., Mirkina E., Mikheeva O. Risk Assessment and the Prediction of Break through Wave During a Dam Accident. Journal of Interdisciplinary Research. 2018. Vol. 8. № 1. pp. 154–161.
8. Methodological recommendations for accident risk assessment on hydraulic structures of water management and industry. Available at: https://normativ.kontur.ru/document?moduleId=1&documentId=235742 (accessed: January 8, 2019). (In Russ.).
9. Belov P.G. Risk Management. System analysis and modeling. Moscow: Yurayt, 2014. 712 p. (In Russ.).
10. Koronkevich N.I. Extreme hydrological situations. Moscow: Media-PRESS, 2010. 464 p. (In Russ.).
11. Chirkeyskaya HPP — the most impressive man-made structure! Available at: https://zagopod.com/blog/43432157602/CHirkeyskaya-GES---samoe-vpechatlyayuschee-rukotvornoe-sooruzhen?nr=1 (accessed: January 8, 2019). (In Russ.).
12. Software complex of the automated structural and logical modeling and calculation of the reliability and safety of ARBITR systems. Available at: https://szma.com/pkasm.shtml (accessed: January 8, 2019). (In Russ.).
13. Rozov A.L. Ways to reduce damage when flooding river valleys by the break wave. Problemy bezopasnosti i chrezvychaynykh situatsiy = Problems of safety and emergency situations. 2015. № 2. pp. 119–125. (In Russ.).
14. Shcherbina V.I., Kogan E.A., Fisenko V.F., Solodkova O.V. Ensuring safety of hydraulic structures at the Votkinskaya HPP based on the automated diagnostic control system. Gidrotekhnicheskoe stroitelstvo = Hydraulic engineering. 2016. № 11. (In Russ.).
15. Twenty-Sixth International Congress on Large Dams. Available at: https://www.crcpress.com/Twenty-Sixth-International-Congress-on-Large-Dams--Vingt-Sixieme-Congres/ICOLD/p/book/9781138612280 (accessed: January 8, 2019).
16. Belov P.G. Assessment and optimization of measures on cascade risk reduction based on modeling. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2018. № 11. pp. 32–40. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2018-11-32-40