To ensure operational stability of the unified gas supply system depending on the seasonal gas demand fluctuations, the underground gas storage facilities are effectively used. Well integrity diagnostics using the advanced logging techniques facilitate timely identification of potential problems (pinpointing cross-flows behind casing, detecting leaks in production casing and other well construction components, locating sustained annulus pressure sources etc.), and, thereby extension of the safe operation life of functioning of the underground gas storage facilities.
The results of the complex of field and geophysical studies in several underground gas storage wells are given in this article. Different types of the underground gas storages are reviewed: the ones located in an aquifer, salt dome, and mature field. The diagnostics was carried out based on the complex of downhole logging including a passive acoustic tool. The passive acoustics hardware and software technology can capture and interpret acoustic signals generated by the wellbore or reservoir flows. To recognise and interpret the captured signals, the temporal coherence algorithms, data wavelet filtration, and neural networks are used.
The use of this technology allows to significantly improve the safety of well operation. The information obtained is used both in the preparation of industrial safety expert reports and for the development of effective programs for major repairs of the underground gas storage wells located in the depleted gas and water fields, as well as in the salt caverns.
Hardware and software technology of passive acoustics is being used in almost all the major oil and gas provinces in the world, receiving recognition from the largest domestic and foreign companies, however, this is the first time that underground gas storage facilities are used to check the technical condition of the wells.
- Safety rules for hazardous production facilities of the underground gas storages: Federal rules and regulations in the field of industrial safety. Ser. 08. Iss. 21. Moscow: ZAO NTTs PB, 2017. 24 p. (In Russ.).
- STO Gazprom 2-2.3-696—2013. Operating manual for the wells with annular pressure at the fields and underground gas storage facilities. Moscow: OAO «Gazprom ekspo», 2014. 35 p. (In Russ.).
- STO Gazprom 2-2.3-056—2006. Regulations for conducting industrial safety expertise of the underground gas storage wells for various purposes and the dedication (extension) of their safe operation. Moscow: Izd. dom «Poligrafiya». 57 p. (In Russ.).
- STO Gazprom 2-2.3-145—2007. Instructions for technical diagnostics of the underground gas storage wells. Available at: https://files.stroyinf.ru/Data1/58/58901/ (accessed: June 14, 2020). (In Russ.).
- GOST R 53709—2009. Oil and gas wells. Geophysical researches and works in wells. General requirements. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/gost-r-53709-2009 (accessed: June 14, 2020). (In Russ.).
- GOST 22609—77. Geophysical exploration in wells. Terms, definitions and letter symbols (with Amendment № 1). Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200023247 (accessed: June 14, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Kantyukov R., Grishin D., Nikitin R., Aslanyan A., Aslanyan I., Minakhmetova R., Soroka S. An integrated approach to the integrity diagnostics of underground gas storage wells. SPE Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference. Abu Dhabi: Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2017. DOI: 10.2118/188656-MS
- Maslennikova Y.S., Bochkarev V.V., Savinkov A.V., Davydov D.A. Spectral Noise Logging Data Processing Technology. SPE Russian Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Technical Conference and Exhibition. Moscow: Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2012. DOI: 10.2118/162081-RU
- Kantyukov R.R., Arbuzov A.A., Soroka S.V., Spirina L.A. Spectral Noise Logging for Well Integrity Analysis in the Mineral Water Well in Asselian Aquifer. Georesursy = Georesursy. 2017. Vol. 19. № 2. pp. 138–140. (In Russ.).
- Aslanyan A.M., Aslanyan I.Yu., Kantyukov R.R., Minakhmetova R.N., Nikitin R.S., Nurgaliev D.K., Soroka S.V. Well Noise Logging as Energy Saving Innovation Technology. Neftegazovoe delo = Petroleum engineering. 2016. Vol. 14. № 2. pp. 8–12. (In Russ.).
- Suarez N., Otubaga A., Mehrotra N., Aslanyan A., Aslanyan I., Khabibullin M., Wilson M., Barghouti J., Maslennikova Y. Complementing Production Logging with Spectral Noise Analysis to Improve Reservoir Characterisation and Surveillance. SPWLA 54th Annual Logging Symposium. New Orleans: Society of Petrophysicists and Well-Log Analysts, 2015. Available at: https://www.onepetro.org/conference-paper/SPWLA-2013-TTT (accessed: June 14, 2020).
- Acharya M.N., Al-Mershed A., Narhari S.R., Al-Azmi M., Dashti Q.M., Chakravorty S., Abdulkadir R.I., Prosvirkin S. Understanding Noises from Different Flow Mediums in Near Well Bore Region: A Novel Approach for Detection and Characterisation of Sub-Vertical Natural Flow Paths in North Kuwait Gas Fields. Offshore Technology Conference Asia. Kuala Lumpur: Offshore Technology Conference, 2016. DOI: 10.4043/26742-MS
- Swankie M., MacFarlane I., Volkov M., Abshenas M., Khabibullin M., Trusov A.V., Kanukov D. Subsea Well Envelope Integrity Assessment Utilizing Electromagnetic Pulse and Spectral Noise Logging, Case Study. SPE International Oilfield Corrosion Conference and Exhibition. Aberdeen: Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2018. DOI: 10.2118/190888-MS
- Volkov M., Yurchenko A., Ellis R. The Loss of Primary Barrier: An Integrated Approach of Downhole Leak Location and Quantification. Case Study. SPE Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition. Lagos: Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2019. DOI: 10.2118/198838-MS
- Davydov D.A., Aslanyan A.M. Patent RF № 2499283 The method and equipment for borehole spectral noise logging. Applied: July 2, 2012. Published: November 20, 2013. Bulletin № 32. (In Russ.).
- Aslanyan A.M., Davydov D.A. Patent GB 2504918 United Kingdom. Method and apparatus for spectral noise logging. Applied: April 23, 2012. Published: February 19, 2014.
- Galiev A., Mukhliev I., Volkov M., Gress R.M., Zaripova A., Trusov A. Out of Zone Injection. SPE Norway One Day Seminar. Bergen: Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2018. DOI: 10.2118/191338-MS
- Volkov M., Zaripova A. The Importance of Reliable Barrier Verification in the P&A Environment — Case Studies. SPE Offshore Europe Conference and Exhibition. Aberdeen: Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2019. DOI: 10.2118/195789-MS