The electric grid system is the basis for functioning of the Unified electric power system of Russia and technologically isolated electric power systems. One of the most serious problems in the electric power industry is the aging of the fixed assets of already built and operating power grid facilities. The second problem is to clarify the seismic hazard of the territories of the Russian Federation in the direction of its growth. As a result, the number of power grid facilities fall into the zones of increased seismic hazard. In the zone of 7 points or more, approximately 30 % of the entire length of electric networks and transformer capacities are located. Information is provided about the characteristics of seismic load and how the objects respond to an earthquake. The experience of earthquakes testifies to the high vulnerability of the overhead power lines, cable power lines, substations, power transformers, relay protection equipment and automation under intense seismic loads. Information is provided about massive damage to the power grid during earthquakes in the territory of Russia, Armenia, and other countries of the world. Frequently occurring short circuits during earthquakes in electrical networks, at transformer substations, in electrical equipment elements of power grid facilities lead to fires. It is determined that power grid facilities have less seismic resistance than electric power generation facilities, than buildings and structures where electrical equipment is located. The problem of insufficiency of the current regulatory framework for ensuring seismic resistance of electric power facilities was also identified. Possible measures to prevent accident rate and increase the resistance, reliability, and seismic stability of power grid facilities in case of earthquakes are considered. The development of normative regulation will allow to take measures to ensure the seismic stability of power grid facilities in operation, and to ensure that control and supervision activities are carried out at a higher level.
2. Kaliberda I.V. Assessment of the parameters of external effects of natural and technogenic origin. Safety of nuclear facilities. Moscow: Logos, 2002. 543 p. (In Russ.).
3. Dyakov A.F. Ensuring seismic safety of power facilities: research, developments, implementation. Moscow: NTF «Energoprogress», 2002. 167 p. (In Russ.).
4. Klyachko M.A. Earthquake, and we. Saint-Petersburg: RIF «Integraf», 1999. 236 p. (In Russ.).
5. Izmit earthquake in Turkey. Available at: http://turkhistory.ru/izmitskoe_zemletryasenie.php (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
6. Ananev A.N., Kaznovskiy S.P., Kaznovskiy P.S., Lebedev V.I., Chechenov Kh.D. Seismic safety of nuclear power plants. Moscow: MGTU im. Baumana «Zolotaya kollektsiya», 2011. 230 p. (In Russ.).
7. So that the networks are firmly «on their feet». Elektroenergiya. Peredacha i raspredelenie = Electric power. Transmission and distribution. 2016. № 4 (37). pp. 54–57. (In Russ.).
8. Belyaev V.S., Demishin S.V., Khakunov V.Kh. Seismic resistance of the equipment on a single support partially buried in the ground. Seysmostoykoe stroitelstvo. Bezopasnost sooruzheniy = Earthquake Engineering. Constructions Safety. 2015. № 5. pp. 36–43. (In Russ.).
9. Shishenin V., Bakin V., Pavlov V. External mechanical impact. Methods for confirming the resistance of electrical equipment. Available at: http://www.news.elteh.ru/arh/2004/26/07_.php (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
10. Kaliberda I.V. Safety of transformers and transformer substations. Energonadzor i energobezopasnost = Energonadzor and power safety. 2010. № 4. pp. 45–62. (In Russ.).
11. Nefedov S.S., Rodin P.A. Analysis of the earthquake kinematics at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear power plant. Seysmostoykoe stroitelstvo. Bezopasnost sooruzheniy = Earthquake Engineering. Constructions Safety. 2015. № 2. pp. 53–59. (In Russ.).
12. Kaliberda I.V. Ensuring Seismic Resistance of Power Engineering Facilities. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2011. № 5. pp. 26–35. (In Russ.).
13. On the approval of the Rules for the technical operation of power plants and networks of the Russian Federation (as amended on February 13, 2019): order of Minenergo of Russia dated June 19, 2003 № 229. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/901865958 (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
14. Electrical Installation Code (PUE). Chapter 3.2. Relay protection (Sixth edition). Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200001628 (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
15. On the approval of the Methodological Recommendations for the implementation of a risk-based approach when conducting scheduled inspections of a legal entity activities and (or) an individual entrepreneur of the subject of an electric power industry operating power grid facilities: Rostechnadzor Order № 291 dated July 23, 2019. Available at:http://docs.cntd.ru/document/560769222 (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).