The pipes of gas trunk line of more than 45 years lifetime have been investigated. The corrosion-active components in the transported gas in the initial period of the gas line operation caused structural defects — stratifications — in the pipe wall. The goal of investigation is to estimate operability of defective pipes based on a set of lab and bench tests.
At the gas line construction the foreign production electric-welded straight-seam pipes made of steel Х53 and Х56 were used. Investigation of chemical composition and mechanical properties of the pipe steel did not detect any significant deviations of the specified characteristics from the normalized values. The content of non-metallic inclusions is high but acceptable for 1020 diameter pipes.
On the basis of analysis of modes of gas transportation through the gas line for the last 10 years applying the special software, the model of its operation was established. The alternating combinations of amplitude and pulsating loading cycles were considered. In order to perform life tests, a research bench containing pipe fragments with extended zones of internal stratification was built. The bench was used for pipe cyclic tests by internal pressure to model 20 year operation of a given gas line. It is established that plastic deformation of the pipe occurs when the design pressure is exceeded twice in the gas trunk line. The locations of plastic deformation are located between the stratifications and welding seams. This causes the need to repair the pipes where stratifications are located next to the welding seams. The additional factor of stricter requirements to pipe rejection can be the combined defect types — such as «stratification + an internal crack». Based on the results of tests, the stratifications up to 1,5 m2 area and (or) up to 3,5 m length as a separate defect type do not significantly affect the pipe operability.
- Arabey A.B., Melekhin O.N., Ryakhovskikh I.V., Bogdanov R.I., Abrosimov P.V., Shtayner M., Marevski U. Studies of continuous operation of pipes slightly damaged by stress corrosion. Nauchno-tekhnicheskiy sbornik «Vesti gazovoy nauki» = Scientific-Тechnical Сollection «News of gas science». 2016. № 3 (27). pp. 4–11. (In Russ.).
- Gimranov R.K., Kantyukov R.A., Butusov O.B., Meshalkin V.P., Popov A.G., Kantyukov R.R. Computer analysis of integral factors and indices of comprehensive estimation of gas flow pulsation effect onto the walls of complex pipelines. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Ser. «Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya» = Russian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Technology. 2015. Vol. 58. № 6. pp. 82–88. (In Russ.).
- Ryakhovskikh I.V., Podolskaya V.V., Petukhov I.G., Vaskan I.Ya. Certificate № 2019615986 The Russian Federation. Automated verification of initial data. Applied: April 23, 2019. Published: May 15, 2019. Bulletin № 5.
- Corporate Standard STO Gazprom 2-4.1-713—2013. Regulatory documents for design, construction and operation of the plants of «Gazprom» Public JSC. Technical requirements for pipes and fittings. Moscow: OAO «Gazprom», 2014. 146 p. (In Russ.).
- Costa e Silva A.L.V. Non-metallic inclusions in steels — origin and control. Journal of Materials Research and Technology. 2018. Vol. 7. Iss. 3. pp. 283–299.
- Nykyforchyn H., Lunarska E., Tsyrulnyk O., Nikiforov K., Genarro M.E., Gabetta G. Environmentally assisted «in-bul» steel degradation of long term service gas trunkline. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2010. Vol. 17. pp. 624–632.
- Maciejewski J. The Effects of Sulfide Inclusions on Mechanical Properties and Failures of Steel Components. Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention. 2015. Vol. 15. pp. 169–178.
- Gafarov N.A., Mitrofanov A.V., Kichenko B.V., Rezvykh A.I., Polozov V.A. Analysis of causes and nature of corrosive defects in the initial period of operation of Orenburg-Zainsk gas trunk line. Zashchita ot korrozii i okhrana okruzhayushchey sredy = Anti-corrosive protection and environmental protection. 1996. № 10. pp. 2–11. (In Russ.).
- Konishchev K.B., Semenov A.M., Chaban A.S., Lobanova N.A., Kashkovskiy R.V. The peculiarities of corrosive cracking mechanism under metal stress of pipes in the media containing hydrogen sulfide and carbon dioxide. Nauchno-tekhnicheskiy sbornik «Vesti gazovoy nauki» = Scientific and technical digest «News of gas science». 2019. № 3 (40). pp. 60–66. (In Russ.).
- Fragiel A., Serna S., Malo-Tamayo J., Silva P., Campillo B., Martínez-Martínez E., Cota L., Staia M.H., Puchi-Cabrera E.S., Perez R. Effect of microstructure and temperature on the stress corrosion cracking of two microalloyed pipeline steels in H2S environment for gas transport. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2019. Vol. 105. pp. 1055–1068.
- Teplinskiy Yu.A., Birillo I.N., Konakova M.A. The impact of metal stratification on gas trunk lines operability. Proizvodstvo prokata = Rolled Products Manufacturing. 2005. № 12. pp. 31–34. (In Russ.).
- Birillo I.N., Komarov A.V. The methodology of rejection of pipes with internal stratification of the wall at the stage of unit’s operation. Truboprovodnyy transport: teoriya i praktika = Pipeline transportation: theory and practice. 2011. № 2. pp. 12–15. (In Russ.).
- Bigus G.A., Teplinskiy Yu.A. Application of acoustic emission method to estimate efficiency of repairing measures for the linear part of gas trunk lines. Tekhnicheskaya diagnostika i nerazrushayushchiy kontrol = Technical diagnostics and non-destructive control. 2000. № 5. pp. 39–44. (In Russ.).