The decisive parameter in the design of automatic fire extinguishing systems in the depots for storing oil and oil products, the organization of fire extinguishing in the tanks with mobile equipment is the standard (critical) foaming agent supply rate. The purpose of this work is to evaluate the influence of the scale of model fire centers and their design on the values of critical intensity of the foam solution supply.
The article presents the results of the analysis of the scientific studies of the process of oil products combustion and approaches to determining the standards for supplying a foaming agent solution to extinguish fires in the tanks. It is shown that the existing fire extinguishing modeling methods in the tanks do not fully take into account the effect on the extinguishing process of the following factors: the change in the rate of oil products burn-up depending on the tanks sizes, the transformation of the aerodynamic characteristics of the medium in the vicinity of the combustion zone, the scale and design of model combustion centers, means and methods of foam supply. The analysis of the work on estimating the burn-up rate of flammable liquids in the tanks of various diameters does not allow to conclude what the minimum size of the experimental tank should be, so that the results obtained for determining the critical intensity of the foam solution supply would not cause anyone doubts.
The paper presents the results of mathematical modeling of changes in the heat flux density on the surface of burning gasoline in the tanks with a diameter of 3 m, 5 m and 21 m. It is shown that combustion in small-diameter tanks does not simulate the thermal regime of a fire implemented on the large-diameter tanks. Consequently, the foaming agent solutions critical on intensity supply for small and large tanks differ from each other. The combustion source used in a number of documents do not simulate the conditions for heating the side of a real tank, which explains the failure to extinguish fires in the large tanks.
It is proposed to determine the intensity of the foaming solution supply, evaluate the efficiency of means and methods for producing foam in full-scale tanks or their mock-ups, which is economically justified and ensures the results reliability.
- Bezrodnyy I.F., Giletich A.N., Merkulov V.A., Molchanov V.P., Shvyrkov A.N. Extinguishing of oil and oil products: manual. Moscow: VNIIPO, 1996. 216 p. (In Russ.).
- Determination of the standard stock of foaming agent for extinguishing flammable liquids in the tanks: recommendations. Moscow: VNIIPO, 1986. 29 p. (In Russ.).
- Optimization of the parameters of fire extinguishing efficiency of foam agents for extinguishing hydrocarbon liquids fires: guidelines. Moscow: VNIIPO, 1988. 21 p. (In Russ.).
- Calculation of the intensity of the foam supply when extinguishing mixtures of hydrocarbon liquids: guidelines. Moscow: VNIIPO, 1990. 25 p. (In Russ.).
- Methodology for determining fire extinguishing efficiency of air-mechanical foam. Moscow: VNIIPO, 1974. 17 p. (In Russ.).
- Blinov V.I., Khudyakov G.N. Diffusion combustion of liquids. Moscow: Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1961. 207 p. (In Russ.).
- Pavlov P.P. On some regularities of burning and warming up of oils and oil products in the tanks. Voprosy goreniya i tusheniya nefteproduktov: inform. sb. (Issues of combustion and extinguishing of oil products in the tanks: information collection). Baku: TsNIIPO, 1958. pp. 64–73. (In Russ.).
- Gorshkov V.I. Extinguishing of flammable liquids flames. Moscow: Pozhnauka, 2007. 267 p. (In Russ.).
- Pavlov P.P. Effect of the tank size on the burn-up rate and combustion modes of oils and oil products. Voprosy goreniya i pozharnoy profilaktiki: inform. sb. (Issues of combustion and fire prevention: information collection). Moscow: MKKh RSFSR, 1957. pp. 31–39. (In Russ.).
- Titov G.E., Popov P.S., Grishin V.V. On the burn-up rate of the petrochemical plants products. Pozharnaya zashchita obektov gazopererabatyvayushchikh i neftekhimicheskikh proizvodstv: sb. tr. (Fire protection of objects of gas processing and petrochemical plants: collected papers). Moscow: VNIIPO, 1977. pp. 14–21. (In Russ.).
- Gorshkov V.I., Guryanova N.N., Kolpakov A.Ya. Rate calculation of the fuel burn-up in a tank according to the experimental data obtained in the small-diameter burners. Goryuchest veshchestv i khimicheskie sredstva pozharotusheniya: sb. tr. (Combustibility of substances and chemical fire extinguishing means: collection of articles). Moscow: VNIIPO, 1978. pp. 56–61. (In Russ.).
- Welch S., Rubini P. Simulations of Fires in Enclosures. Cranfield: Cranfield University, 1996. 340 p.
- Launder B.E., Spalding D.B. The Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flow. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 1974. Vol. 3. Iss. 2. pp. 269–289.
- Hossain M.S., Rodi W. A Turbulence Model for Buoyant Flows and Its Application for Vertical Buoyant Jets. Turbulent Buoyant Jets and Plumes. 1982. Vol. 6. pp. 121–172.
- Magnussen B.F., Hjertager B.H. On mathematical modeling of turbulent combustion with special emphasis on soot formation and combustion. Symposium (International) on Combustion. 1977. Vol. 16. Iss. 1. pp. 719–729.
- Lockwood F.C., Shah N.G. A new radiation solution method for incorporation in general combustion prediction procedures. Symposium (International) on Combustion. 1981. Vol. 18. Iss. 1. pp. 1405–1414.
- Bresloff N.W., Moss J.B., Rubini P.A. Assessment of a Total Absorptivity Solution of the Radiative Transfer Equation as Applied in the Discrete Transfer Radiation Model. Numerical Heat Transfer. Part B: Fundamentals. 1996. Vol. 29. pp. 381–397.
- Truelove J.S. Mixed grey gas model for flame radiation. Harwell: Thermodynamics Division, AERE, 1976. 20 p.
- Kopylov N.P., Kuznetsov A.E., Fedotkin D.V., Orlov L.A., Rodionov E.S., Kopylov S.N., Yayliyan R.A., Plaksina D.S., Senchishak T.I., Kononov B.V. Optimization of fire extinguishing in the tanks. Materialy nauch.-tekhn. konf. «Kratkosrochnye i dolgosrochnye perspektivy razvitiya tekhnicheskikh sredstv predotvrashcheniya i tusheniya pozharov» (Materials of the scientific and technical conference «Short-term and long-term prospects for the development of technical means of fires prevention and extinguishing»). Moscow: Nekommercheskoe partnerstvo «Natsionalnaya akademiya nauk pozharnoy bezopasnosti», 2016. pp. 80–92. (In Russ.).
- Kopylov N.P., Gorshkov V.I., Kopylov S.N., Fedotkin D.V. Investigation of temperature regimes of foam fire extinguishing in the tanks. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 2017. Vol. 26. № 3. pp. 70–76. (In Russ.).
- GOST R 50588—2012. Foaming agents for fire extinguishing. General technical requirements and test methods (with Amendment). Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200093407 (data obrashcheniya: 01.04.2020). (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
- GOST R 53280.1—2010. Automatic fire extinguishing systems. Fire extinguishing media. Part 1. Foam fire extinguishing concentrates for surface application to water-miscible inflammable liquids. General technical requirements and test methods. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200078686 (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
- GOST R 53280.2—2010. Automatic fire extinguishing systems. Fire extinguishing media. Part 2. Foam concentrates for subsurface extinguishing of fires of oil and petroleum production tanks. General technical requirements and test methods (with Amendment № 1). Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200078687 (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
- GOST 31385—2016. Vertical cylindrical steel tanks for oil and oil-products. General specifications (with Amendment). Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200138636 (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Kotov A.A., Petrov I.I., Reutt V.Ch. Use of hi-foam when extinguishing fires. Moscow: Stroyizdat, 1972. 113 p. (In Russ.).
- Sharovarnikov A.F., Molchanov V.P., Voevoda S.S., Sharovarnikov S.A. Extinguishing of oil and oil products fires. Moscow: ID «Kalan», 2002. 448 p. (In Russ.).
- Kopylov N.P., Fedotkin D.V. Fire protection of oil and oil products storage depots. Available at: http://secuteck.ru/articles2/firesec/protivopozharnaya-zaschita-skladov-hraneniya-nefti-i-nefteproduktov (accessed: April 1, 2020). (In Russ.).