The consequences of a real explosive accident are considered in the article. The scenario of its development is restored based on the available data. The need for a detailed study is caused by the fact that initially the main version of the explosion and fire occurrence was a methane leak from the gas pipeline at the enterprise. Having examined the materials describing the accident consequences and considering the experience of such explosive accident investigation, it became obvious that the main cause of the explosion and fire was the emergency rupture of the propane cylinder. Four stages that accompanied gas cylinder emergency rupture are examined in detail: cylinder rupture accompanied by a characteristic sound; discharge into the room of an overheated liquid located in the cylinder in the form of a vapor mixture with small drops of liquid; explosive combustion of a propane-air mixture framing an ejection jet; fire storm spreading throughout the room.
Numerical calculations of the last two stages of accident development showed that the generated explosion pressure in the emergency room corresponds to the destructions that occurred, and the heat load corresponds to the burns received by the witnesses of emergency explosion.
For example, the initial stage of explosive combustion was accompanied by a short-term explosive load (lasting about 20–50 ms), which had a pronounced wave character. The maximum amplitude of the explosive pressure was approximately 5 kPa. A dynamic load with the indicated parameters can cause partial damage to the building structure and internal partitions, which occurred during the accident.
The resulting wind load also had a pronounced wave character and was perceived by others as a gust of wind. Wave flow velocities did not exceed 10–15 m/s, which corresponds to the concept of «gust of wind», that was indicated by the witnesses of the accident.
Comparison of the calculation results with the existing destructions and damages shows that the accidental explosion occurred according to the scenario adopted in the calculations.
- Komarov A.A. Prediction of loads from emergency deflagration explosions and assessment of the consequences of their effect on buildings and structures: Abstract of the thesis... Doctor of Technical Sciences. Moscow: MGSU, 2001. 42 p. (In Russ.).
- Mishuev A.V., Kazennov V.V., Gromov N.V., Lukyanov I.A. Ensuring explosion safety and explosion resistance of industrial, transport, energy and civil objects. Tezisy dokl. nauch.-prakt. konf. «Pozharnaya bezopasnost zdaniy i sooruzheniy na stadii stroitelstva i ekspluatatsii» (Abstracts of the scientific-practical conference «Fire safety of buildings and structures at the stage of construction and operation»). Moscow, 2012. (In Russ.).
- Benedetto A.D., Sarli V.D. Theory, Modeling and Computation of Gas Explosion Phenomena: Handbook of Combustion. Hoboken: Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co, 2010.
- Komarov A.A., Anh P.T. Determining the effectiveness of protective fences from explosions of terroristic orientation. MATEC Web of Conferences. 2017. Vol. 117. № 00082. pp. 571–579. DOI: 10.1051/matecconf/201711700082
- Wen X., Yu M., Liu Z., Li G., Ji W., Xie M. Effects of cross-wise obstacle position on methane-air deflagration characteristics. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 2013. Vol. 26. Iss. 6. pp. 1335–1340.
- GOST R 12.3.047—2012. Occupational safety standards system. Fire safety of technological processes. General requirements. Methods of control. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200103505 (accessed: March 1, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Grokhotov M.A. Calculation of the flame front propagation velocity during a deflagration explosion. Materialy 6-y Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. «Pozharotushenie: problemy, tekhnologii, innovatsii» (Materials of the Sixth International scientific-practical Conference «Fire-fighting: problems, technologies, innovations»). Moscow: Akademiya GPS MChS Rossii, 2018. pp. 301–303. (In Russ.).
- Komarov A.A. Calculation of gas-dynamic characteristics of flows during emergency deflagration explosions in outdoor installations. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 2002. Vol. 11. № 5. pp. 15–18. (In Russ.).
- Komarov A.A., Gromov N.V. Particular aspects of calculating affecting factors of fireballs emerging from aircraft crash. Available at: https://www.matec-conferences.org/articles/matecconf/pdf/2018/110/matecconf_ipicse2018_02031.pdf// (accessed: March 1, 2020). DOI: 10.1051/matecconf/201825102031
- Bosch C.J.H. Methods for the Calculation of Physical Effects: Due to Releases of Hazardous Materials (Liquids and Gases), Yellow Book. Available at: https://content.publicatiereeksgevaarlijkestoffen.nl/documents/PGS2/PGS2-1997-v0.1-physical-effects.pdf (accessed: March 1, 2020).
- Ibrahim S.S., Gubba S.R., Masri A.R., Malalasekera W. Calculations of explosion deflagrating flames using a dynamic flame surface density model. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 2009. Vol. 22. Iss. 3. pp. 258–264.
- Gorev V.A., Molkov V.V. On the dependence of internal explosion parameters on the installation of safety structures in the apertures of the protecting walls of industrial and residential buildings. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 2018. Vol. 27. № 10. pp. 6–25. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18322/PVB.2018.27.10.6-25
- Polandov Yu.Kh., Dobrikov S.A. Effect of distance between ignition location and window on indoor gas explosion development. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 2019. Vol. 28. № 3. pp. 14–35. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18322/PVB.2019.28.03.14-35
- Komarov A.A., Bazhina E.V. Specifics of the Calculation of the Dispersion Parameters of Harmful and Combustible Substances. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2019. № 7. pp. 38–43. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2019-7-38-43