Currently, the unified gas supply system is functioning in Russia, the key element of ensuring reliability of which is the underground gas storage system. Presence of large volumes of gas at these production facilities and close location of storage facilities to the settlements predetermine their danger. From which it follows that during operation of such facilities a special attention is required to be paid to safety issues.
The article considers the problem of monitoring of the equipment technical condition and identifying leaks at hazardous production facilities of the underground gas storage. Existing methods do not allow quickly and with a high degree of reliability to detect hidden damages to the operating equipment, to accurately determine and record gas leaks location.
The greatest danger is posed by the pipelines and shutoff valves, which is established based on the analysis of statistical data on accident rate at the oil and gas facilities. The performed analysis showed that the technical condition of pipelines is the main cause of most accidents. The main method of non-destructive testing of the technical condition of this equipment is in-line inspection. Due to the fact, that in-line inspections are not provided for the underground gas storage facilities the thermal imaging monitoring was proposed in order to improving the quality of the work during industrial control at such facilities.
The efficiency of this method is confirmed by practical tests at the production sites of a hazardous underground gas storage facility. During the experiment, the possibility of using two types of thermal imagers was studied: classic and cooled. The classic thermal imager operates in the far infrared range and allows to assess the state of the object by the temperature gradient of its surface. The second type — a cooled thermal imager, it operates in the mid-infrared range and allows to visualize the gas leaks. Based on the performed study, the capabilities of each device were evaluated, and the area of their application was identified.
- On gas supply in the Russian Federation: Federal Law of March 31, 1999 № 69-FZ. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/901729900 (accessed: February 23, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Underground gas storage. Available at: https://www.gazprom.ru/about/production/underground-storage/ (accessed: February 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
- How is gas stored and what is underground gas storage. Available at: http://www.gazprominfo.ru/articles/gas-storage/ (accessed: February 20, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Koroleva V.P. Technical approaches to form the development programs for underground gas storage. Territoriya Neftegaz = Oil And Gas Territory. 2016. № 5. pp. 50–54. (In Russ.).
- Konyushkov O.V., Vilkov A.V., Dushkin I.E., Barinov M.Yu., Shuvalov S.S. Underground gas storage facilities and industrial safety. Molodoy uchenyy = Young scientist. 2016. № 2. pp. 166–168. (In Russ.).
- Vavilov V.P. Infrared thermography and thermal control. Moscow: ID Spektr, 2009. 544 p. (In Russ.).
- Mohanty A.R. Machinery condition monitoring: Principles and Practices. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2017.
- Burnay S.G., Williams T.L. Applications of Thermal Imaging. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 1988.
- Ghazali K.H., Jadin M.S. Gas leakage detection using thermal imaging technique. 2014 UKSim-AMSS 16th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation. Washington, 2014. pp. 301–305.
- Wong W.K., Tan P.N., Loo C.K., Lim W.S. An effective surveillance system using thermal camera. 2009 International Conference on Signal Acquisition and Processing (ICSAP 2009). Kuala Lumpur, 2009. pp. 13–17.
- Annual reports on the activities of the Federal Environmental, Industrial and Nuclear Supervision Service for 2009–2018. Available at: http://www.gosnadzor.ru/public/annual_reports/ (accessed: February 10, 2020). (In Russ.).
- State reports on the state of protection of the population and territories of the Russian Federation from natural and man-made emergencies in 2009–2018. Available at: https://www.mchs.gov.ru/activities/results (accessed: February 10, 2020). (In Russ.).
- On the approval of the Federal norms and rules in the field of industrial safety «Safety rules for hazardous production facilities of the underground gas storage facilities»: Rostechnadzor order dated November 20, 2017 № 486. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/542612138 (accessed: February 10, 2020). (In Russ.).
- On industrial safety of hazardous production facilities: Federal Law of July 21, 1997 № 116-FZ. Moscow: ZAO NTTs PB, 2020. 56 p. (In Russ.).
- On the organization and implementation of industrial control over compliance with the industrial safety requirements at a hazardous production facility (as amended on October 25, 2019): Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation of March 10, 1999, № 263. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/901728088 (accessed: February 10, 2020). (In Russ.).
- R Gazprom 2-1.1-783—2014. Organization and methodology of carrying out preventive measures on preventing the occurrence of gas and oil manifestations, emergency emissions, gas and oil blowout of OAO Gazprom. Moscow: OOO «Gazprom ekspo», 2015. 50 p. (In Russ.).