In the territory of the facilities where combustible gases are handled or stored, the combustible gas-air mixture may be formed as a result of the equipment depressurization. Mixture ignition leads to fires, explosions and destruction of buildings and structures. Most often, the combustion of such mixtures occurs in the deflagration mode. Main factor affecting the values of explosion parameters is the speed of flame front propagation.
The methodologies presented in the normative documents and in various sources of literature are considered, which are related to the determination of the speed of flame front propagation. The analysis showed that for the same emergency the considered methodology gives significantly different values of the speed of flame front propagation, this causes discussion among the design engineers. The considered methodology is developed based on the experimental data. Thus, the definition of the speed of flame front propagation in the methodology presented in the normative documents is based on the mixture of energy potential. Proprietary methodology considers the physical and chemical properties of gas-air mixtures, but there is no mentioning about the boundaries of their application.
The methodology proposed in the article is related to determining the speed of flame front propagation. It is developed based on the theories of hydrodynamics and flame propagation. It is assumed that flame propagation in a gas mixture is similar to a fluid flow in the smooth round pipes. The movement of gas follows the laws of hydrodynamics, the coefficient of thermal conductivity of the gas mixture is proportional to the coefficient of hydraulic friction, since the physical meaning of the kinematic viscosity coefficient, the diffusion coefficient, and the thermal conductivity coefficient of gases is the same. Among others, they have the same dimension.
Verification of the developed methodology for predicting the speed of flame front propagation during gas-air mixture combustion was carried out based on the comparative analysis of the calculation results with the consequences of real emergency explosions. The analysis of the considered accidents led to the conclusion that the proposed methodology realistically describes the process of flame front propagation during gas-air cloud explosion.
- Methodology for assessment of the consequences of fuel-air mixtures accidental explosions: Safety guide. Ser. 27. Iss. 17. Moscow: ZAO NTTs PB, 2020. 44 p. (In Russ.).
- On the approval of the methodology for determining the calculated values of fire risk at production facilities: order of EMERCOM of Russia of July 10, 2009 № 404. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/902170886 (accessed: February 8, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Makeev V.I., Gostintsev Yu.A., Strogonov V.V., Bokhon Yu.A., Chernushkin Yu.N., Kulikov V.N. Combustion and detonation of hydrogen-air mixtures in free volumes. Fizika goreniya i vzryva = Combustion, Explosion, and Shock Waves. 1983. № 5. pp. 16–18. (In Russ.).
- Makeev V.I. Fire safety of buildings, structures and objects. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 1992. № 3. pp. 34–45. (In Russ.).
- Mishuev A.V., Khusnutdinov D.Z. Methodology for calculating loads on buildings and people at the external deflagration explosion: textbook. Moscow: MGSU, 2004. 65 p. (In Russ.).
- Loytsyanskiy L.G. Fluid and gas mechanics. Moscow: Nauka, 1970. 904 p. (In Russ.).
- Varnatts Yu., Maas U., Dibbl R. Combustion. Physical and chemical aspects, modeling, experiments, pollutants formation. Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2003. 352 p. (In Russ.).
- Grokhotov M.A., Begishev I.R., Komarov A.A., Belikov A.K. Calculation of the velocity of the flame front propagation at the deflagration explosion. Materialy 6-y Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. «Pozharotushenie: problemy, tekhnologii, innovatsii» (Materials of the Sixth International Scientific-Practical Conference «Fire fighting: problems, technologies, innovations»). Moscow: Akademiya GPS MChS Rossii, 2018. pp. 301–303. (In Russ.).
- Kessler D.A., Gamezo V.N., Oran E.S. Simulations of flame acceleration and deflagration-to-detonation transitions in methane-air system. Combustion and Flame. 2010. Vol. 157. pp. 2063–2077. DOI: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.04.011
- Wolanski P. Detonative propulsion. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute. 2013. Vol. 34. № 1. pp. 125–158.
- Azatyan V.V. Problems of combustion, explosion and detonation of gases in the theory of nonisothermal chain processes. Zhurnal fizicheskoy khimii = Journal of Physical Chemistry. 2014. Vol. 88. № 5. pp. 759–771. (In Russ.).
- Azatyan V.V. Сhain reactions in the processes of combustion, explosion and detonation of gases. Chernogolovka: Izd-vo IPKhF RAN, 2017. 448 p. (In Russ.).
- Makeev V.I., Ponomarev A.A., Stroganov V.V., Karpov V.L. Combustion and transition to detonation of gas mixtures in the space with partial congestion. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 1993. Vol. 2. № 2. pp. 3–6. (In Russ.).
- Makeev V.I., Stroganov V.V., Chuguev A.P., Chernushkin Yu.N. An experimental study of flame acceleration in free spherical volumes. Materialy VII Vsesoyuzn. nauch.-prakt. konf. «Gorenie i problemy tusheniya pozharov» (Materials the Seventh All-Union Scientific-Practical Conference «Combustion and fire extinguishing problems»). Moscow: VNIIPO, 1981. pp. 17–20. (In Russ.).
- Chamberlain G., Oran E., Pekalski A. Detonations in industrial vapour cloud explosions. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 2019. Vol. 62. pp. 416–428. DOI: 10.1016/j.jlp.2019.103918
- Kolbe M., Simoes V., Salzano E. Including detonations in industrial safety and risk assessments. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 2017. Vol. 49. pp. 171–176. DOI: 10.1016/j.jlp.2017.06.015
- Grokhotov M.A. The methodology for predicting the speed of flame front propagation during gas-air cloud combustion in the open space: thesis... Candidate of Technical Sciences. Moscow, 2018. 140 p. (In Russ.).
- Flixborough petrochemical plant. Available at: http://www.cookeonfire.com/pdfs/Flixborough.pdf (accessed: February 8, 2020).
- Sorokina I. Last day of the factory in Flixboro. Available at: http://www.newchemistry.ru/printletter.php?n_id=302 (accessed: February 8, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Marshall V. Main hazards of chemical production. Moscow: Mir, 1989. 672 p. (In Russ.).
- The guide to the examination and design of buildings and structures subject to blast loads. Available at: https://files.stroyinf.ru/Data2/1/4293835/4293835963.pdf (accessed: February 8, 2020). (In Russ.).
- Buzaev E.V. Development of methodology for forecasting the parameters of hazardous areas during combustible substances emergency emissions: thesis... Candidate of Technical Sciences. Moscow, 2015. 124 p. (In Russ.).
- Komarov A.A., Korolchenko D.A., Gromov N.V. Specific features of hydrodynamic calculations during performance of technical expertise of accidental detonation. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 2017. Vol. 26. № 10. pp. 36–42. (In Russ.).
- Komarov A.A., Bazhina E.V. Specifics of the Calculation of the Dispersion Parameters of Harmful and Combustible Substances. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2019. № 7. pp. 38–43. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.24000/0409-2961-2019-7-38-43